Epoxy problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

papNal

Awhile back I was having a few instances of the tube coming out of acrylic blanks when using the pen mill.I was using the fast set (5 min.) Loctite epoxy,several here on forum suggested going to a slower cure epoxy.I bought the Loctite 60 min. pro set of two 4 oz. bottles.I have used it to glue up a couple batches of acrylic blanks,after 3 days of drying and one day in dehydrator the glue is still tacky and soft.I made sure to mix it correctly,both with right amounts of resin and hardner,and stirring it plenty long for a good mix.I have been using epoxy for many years,both in military aviation and later as a builder,so I'm not inexperienced in its use.Has anyone had a problem with Loctite epoxy? This is very annoying and is messing up blanks destined for IRAK.I'd appreciate any ideas.Don't know if I just have a bad batch of glue,at over $20 it should work. John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Yes I have had problems with the 1 hr epoxy from loctite. I think most of the problems come from it being over it's recommended shelf life, most people want the fast cure so the slow cure epoxy's stay on the shelves long after they should be tossed out, I got my last batch at Lowes, I don't like the 5 minute but Mannie (Monty) has about the best around. I wish some one would find a good source for 30 minute .

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
60 Min epoxy

I've had the same problem where after two weeks the epoxy was still tacky. Not good at all. I never did find a cure, I thought maybe I'd mixed it wrong.

DurocShark

Monty's epoxy is excellent. Even for 5 minute.

I've moved away from epoxy (and CA) for most tube glue-ups. I'm almost exclusively Gorilla glue. The expanding nature of that glue means it fills the space nicely, and even adheres to a smooth tube.

jedgerton

"I've moved away from epoxy (and CA) for most tube glue-ups. I'm almost exclusively Gorilla glue. The expanding nature of that glue means it fills the space nicely, and even adheres to a smooth tube. __________________
Don - A mile high"

I'll second that comment. Gorilla glue works very well with one exception, on blanks with transparent features, you can sometimes see an irregular pattern that results from the foaming action. On the positive side, I've almost never seen a blank come loose while turning.

John

papNal

Thanks everyone,At least I don't seem to be the only one having problems.My glue came from Lowes also,I looked at the code,but couldn't tell when it was made.I glue almost all my blanks with poly, but thought the epoxy might be better for acrylics going to desert areas.If I get any more I'll use Monty where I get my CAs. his stuff has always been great. I've been using SUMO poly. it dries white and doesn't show quite as much as Gorilla. John

Rfturner

I use the Loctite 5 minute epoxy and I have only had issues when I first started using the epoxy but that was 100% USER ERROR. I fixed the problem (I did not mix it evenly) I have done hundreds of pens no problems

bradh

I have had slow set or no set issues with epoxy glue a few times in the past, I find it is partially heat related. Epoxy likes warmer temperatures to set. Try putting it somewhere a little warmer. It doesn't take much; 75-85 deg F is all it takes to get it to set better.

Last edited:

snyiper

I use Sumo Glue it is the same as Gorillia but I like the bottle better it caps tight and dries white... I will also give the nod to Mannie's epoxy great stuff never had a issue!!!

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Most curing problems with epoxies are from not thoroughly mixing the 2 parts. Make sure the proportions are correct, and count off 100 seconds (approx.) while stirring the 2 parts together and your problems should go away.

This is also true for the 5-minute epoxies, and that 100 seconds means that we have used up almost half of the working time before it is ready to use.

papNal

Most curing problems with epoxies are from not thoroughly mixing the 2 parts. Make sure the proportions are correct, and count off 100 seconds (approx.) while stirring the 2 parts together and your problems should go away.

This is also true for the 5-minute epoxies, and that 100 seconds means that we have used up almost half of the working time before it is ready to use.

Thanks Russ,I thought that after having problems at times with the 5 min epoxy that I wasn't mixing enough,but with this 60 min Loctite I just got I mixed for a full 2 min. The glue left on the mixing surface is still tacky after a week,the blanks were put in a dehydrator for a day at 95 deg. after sitting out for 3 days,the glue around the tubes feel gummy to the touch.The Loctite must be as suggested old or a bad batch.Next trip to Lowes I'm taking it back. Thanks everyone. John

SAWDUST 101

Passed Away Jan 7, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi all, I'd like to add my two cents on Gorilla Glue. I have used the origional clear glue for several years with no loose tubes and finally decided to try the white glue instead of painting tubes. BIG mistake! Out of 5 pens I tried it on, 2 ended up with loose tubes. Would anybody like a nearly new bottle of glue as I will not use it again, will stick with the clear, no pun intended. Maybe somebody else has had better results but the white is not for me but for now I'll stay with the clear. Thanks, Don

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I see dried glue

Along this same line, I have noticed that with the more transparent acrylic blanks and where I have painted the tubes I can see the uneven glue "smear" thru the blank at the nib end. No one has ever said anything about it but I know it is there. I use thick CA and lots of it for the tube inserting process. Is there a cure you have found or am I the only one with this issue?

DurocShark

That's another reason to use Gorilla Glue. Because it expands, it fills the entire tube. But you should be painting transparent and translucent blanks anyway...

wb7whi

It could be that drilling the acrylic blank is producing heat which can make the hole a bit larger than design. For this reason, if the tubes come out I would put them back in with the gorilla glue. It will help to seal the ends of the tubs with a potato or something of the like.

phillywood

Have a qsn for you. I's great that you discuss the problem here, but have ever tried calling loctite to see what answer they might have to that problem. I used to work at Lowe's. sometimes the products sit on the darn shelf for ages. but if no one complains to the manufacturer then they don't know that their products are sitting on the shelf and when used they don't hold the promise. So, I may ask that call the Mnf. and see what they say and maybe get a refund. Onthe other hands, do have a forum somewhere on IAP that you experts post the best product for the ppurpose of penmaking so new commers like me try to avoid those kind sof pitfalls?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I have had slow set or no set issues with epoxy glue a few times in the past, I find it is partially heat related. Epoxy likes warmer temperatures to set. Try putting it somewhere a little warmer. It doesn't take much; 75-85 deg F is all it takes to get it to set better.
Come to think of it, when they used epoxy were I worked they usually baked it for awhile at a fairly low temperature. I thought that was because of the use it was being put to, but maybe it wasn't.

Top Bottom