Epoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

I just used Epoxy on some tubes for the first time. When I do this I typicaly set up 5-10 pens at a time. I was using the 5 min epoxy which really does not give a lot of working time and I am concerned about the last pens. What type of epoxy for you use and how do you apply it? I use using a disposable glue brush. Also does Epoxy expand at all to fill any gaps?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

I wear a glove on my right hand and roll the tube in the epoxy and then slide it into the blank. I normally put a bit epoxy in the end of the blank before the tube, then when I insert the tube (with the end sealed) it'll push the excess epoxy out ensuring a good coating.

Epoxy will fill gaps but doesn't expand.

If you are gluing up a large number of blanks at one time you might consider one of the longer setting epoxies, I think they have 15 minute and 30 minute?

AK

lorbay

I just used Epoxy on some tubes for the first time. When I do this I typicaly set up 5-10 pens at a time. I was using the 5 min epoxy which really does not give a lot of working time and I am concerned about the last pens. What type of epoxy for you use and how do you apply it? I use using a disposable glue brush. Also does Epoxy expand at all to fill any gaps?
I use 20 min epoxy coat the inside of the blank with a tooth pick, put dental wax in both ends of the tube and then roll one end of it in the glue and use a twisting motion when putting the tube in the blank.

Lin.

Christian

I use 20 min epoxy coat the inside of the blank with a tooth pick, put dental wax in both ends of the tube and then roll one end of it in the glue and use a twisting motion when putting the tube in the blank.

Lin.
+1 for this method.

Focushere

When working with Epoxy I use the 5 minute type. I buy it at Home Depot in the 4oz. bottles. I just squeez out enough to do about 4 tubes at a time. I put it on wax paper and mix it with a Q-tip which I break off the cotton tip on one end and use that end as a stick. It applies more than a toothpick and easier to hang on to the cotton swap end. I like this method because it's less expensive. Wax paper is cheap and so is the box of 500 Q-tips. Buying the epoxy in large bottles also saves money. The reason I don't try and glue a bunch at one time is because the phone will ring or the wife walks out to the shop and expects me to drop everything I am doing and attend to what every it is she needs at that moment.

Justturnin

Cure

I typically set up 5-10 or more at a time but usually dont turn one for days after. I use a Shopsmith so setting up the drill press is a pain so I make the most. Sometimes it is not a good thing becuas ewhat may sound good today when drill may not when it comes time to turn and I set it to the side.

something to consider the time factor 5-10-15 minutes is the set up time,it still takes 24 hours for a complete cure

SCR0LL3R

If it starts to set at all before you get it in place, you are going to lose a lot of bond strength. I generally only do 2-4 barrels at a time. After mixing, on a warm day you really only have about 3 minutes to work with it. I am going to get slower setting epoxy next time around, then I can do more at once. Like Roddesigner mentions, they all take about 24 hours to cure so there really is no downside.

Lonn

After ruffing up the brass tube betweeen centers with 180 grit I use a q tip to apply a wax release inside each end of the tube then mix overnight cure t88 structural epoxy. Work time after I use a tapered insert tool to hold the tube and insert the tube about 1/4 inch into the wood blank, apply epoxy then insert about three quarters of an inch , rotate it and pull the wood off the tube reverse insert about 1/4 inch and use a pointed stick to apply epoxy to the tube , push and rotate the tube till it is even with the end of the wood, then equalize the brass tube between the slightly longer tube. Next day i chop saw the blanks to within a whisker of tubes at each end and usually he bushing will push the excess epoxy into the tubes,if not i use a tube inside scraper.
I do a first square to round turn prior to end sanding the wood concentric with the axis of the brass tube to the specified barrell length . To perform this feat i use my version of a sanding mill that i have installed on a small vertical drill press. back to the lathe for more precise turning knowing that every thing will fit correctly. I use apoxy during assembly knowing that i am creating an exact fit with adhesion only between the end sanded blank and the end of the metal engauging part. In the event that i must disassemble latter the inside of the tube releases because it has a wax release compound inside from the inserted hardware with the usual effort had i not have used glue. I do lots of 10 same kit builds.

Dave Turner

I currently use the 5 minute epoxy and find I can only glue about 2 tubes before it starts setting. I have no problems turning the blank 2 hours after gluing. I will probably get some 15 minute epoxy so I can do more tubes with one batch. I'm willing to wait longer before turning.

I use a standard craft stick (Popsicle stick) to mix the epoxy and also spread it on the tubes. I cut up empty cereal boxes into 4 inch squares to use as disposable mixing cards. The shiny printed side works great. I bought a cheap bag of small disposable detail paint brushes, the ones with the thin cylindrical plastic handles. I use the bare plastic handle to coat the inside of the blank with epoxy before I insert the tube. I find having both the blank wall and the tube coated prior to insertion will eliminate any bare spots. I can wipe the brush handle off with a paper towel and reuse it. Like others, I twist the tube as I push it in and push the excess epoxy out the other side where I can scrape it off with my Popsicle stick. Did I mention I seal the ends of the tubes with dental wax (thanks again Randy)?

Last edited:

turn4fun

I've been using 5 min epoxy and have been able to square the blanks and turn them after 1-1/2 hrs. I have enough time to glue 2 brass tubes into their blanks. If I tried to glue up more than that, I'd probably be working with glue that was a little too old. I use dental wax to seal both ends of the brass tubes. I spread the glue in the blanks with 2 to 3 inch pieces of plastic soda straws and roll the tubes in what's left of the epoxy. Then I twist the tubes into the blanks and wipe off the excess epoxy at the ends of the blanks with a small piece of paper towel soaked in alcohol. I like to mix the epoxy on approximately 3"x3" Post-its. That way I can peel off the Post-it and throw it away. I get the 5 min Epoxy in reasonably large bottles from Craft USA.. Larry

Andrew_K99

Using 5 minute expoxy I've been able to wait 10 minutes or less and successfully squared up the tube and turn it round. I've never had an issue doing it this way.

Should I be waiting longer? Or are others waiting longer then they need to? :confused:

AK

Leviblue

Local Chapter Leader
I use the 5 minute epoxy usually mixed on wax paper or the back of a used piece of sand paper with a popsicle stick. Anything that I can repurpose and clean will work.
After roughing up the brass tube, I wipe it with DNA to remove any oils or dust that could cause an area to not be covered with epoxy. The epoxy is applied to the brass tube 3/4 the way up. Insert into the blank with a twisting motion and pulling back on every other turn. Scrap the excess off the ends and set to the side. I get good coverage and can turn the blank in about 15-20 minutes. Like others I only do about 2-4 tubes in one mixing.

carverken

The only difference I have is that I use Kabob Skewers. They come 50 or 100 to a bag for less than $2. They are long enough to hold onto, fit in the holes, and you can cut the used part and be thrifty.

Justturnin

Great info guys. I think I will give it another go. The first pen I turned blew up and I think it was due to lack of contact. I will try to coat the blank and tube as well as picking up a slower cure epoxy. I rarely turn a pen right after setting them up. I just like to have a stash so when I bore of bowls and such I can turn some pens.

KenV

A couple of add ons that have not been covered --

White vinegar is a good cleanup aid for uncured epoxy -- wipes up spills, and gets it of fingers etc. Once it sets, it will not work, but even while curing. Lacquer thinner is an alternative, but vinegar has a better smell and less VOC. Having some in a sqeeze bottle with a paper towel is handy.

Cleanup of sqeeze out and such after the epoxy jells is easier than waiting until it is hard. Craft knife cuts it easily after about 10 minutes and makes the next steps easier.
This works with polyethlene glue also. Cleanup after it jells and before it gets really hard.

joek30296

Dave and Lorbay,
Where do you get dental wax? Is it readily available at Michael's or Hobby Lobby or have to be ordered online somewhere?
Thanks,
Joe

PenMan1

I use Monty's 5 minute epoxy. It is the best I have found, and is half the price of the local stores.

As for mixing cards, Go to the local VFW, American Legion (or anywhere that play a lot of Texas hold 'em). Many VFWs get free playing cards from the Manufacturer. Ask the bartender to save you the "discarded" decks.

PenMan1

As for plugging tubes, 5 pounds of plumber's putty is $4.79 at my HD. And, it is reusable. I make A LOT of pens and 5 pounds will last me over a year.

Justturnin

I gave Epoxy another go and used Play-do from the kids box and it worked well but was a lose fit. I may try the plumbers putty idea as I have a tub of it. I used some old skewers to smear it inside. It worked well then I just cut the sticky part off and still have 3/4 of the skewer to work.

Last edited:

PenMan1

I gave Epoxy another go and used Play-do from the kids box and it worked well but was a lose fit. I may try the plumbers putty idea as I have a tub of it. I used some old skewers to smear it inside. It worked well then I just cut the sticky part off and still have 3/4 of the skewer to work.

The plumbers putty is reusable. Pack the tube as full as you can get it. After the glue dries, use a barrel insert or dowel to push out the putty and put it into the resealable container.

If you have to paint tubes, the putty will also hold the tube upright to a nail in a board. This makes tube painting much less difficult and less time consuming.

Justturnin

If you have to paint tubes, the putty will also hold the tube upright to a nail in a board. This makes tube painting much less difficult and less time consuming.

I painted 3 tubes today w/ the playdo in them and just stuck a skewer in there. I was able to hold it up and paint away from my hands then just stuck it in the ground to dry.

Dave Turner

Dave and Lorbay,
Where do you get dental wax? Is it readily available at Michael's or Hobby Lobby or have to be ordered online somewhere?
Thanks,
Joe

The type of dental wax that works for sealing the brass tubes is called baseplate wax. It comes in sheets about 1.5 mm thick. The sheet I am currently using was given to me to try out by another IAP member (another example of what great members we have here). Having tried plumbers putty, play-doh, styrofoam, and a few other substances, dental wax is definitely my favorite. It's easy to apply (just push the tube end into the wax sheet), does a nice job of sealing the end, comes off easily, and does not leave a mess.

I will have to buy some more, but this one sheet I have should last a while longer. You can buy it in bulk for about $10 to $15 per pound from dental supply houses. You can purchase individual sheets from Arizona Silhouette.

Top Bottom