Epoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I'm down to my last epoxy / and wanting more. I did not like the brand I had / so i'm asking IAP members which brand they use . thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I've tried a lot of different brands of epoxy over the years, and most work pretty well for their intended job, less so the farther away from their design specifications you get. My main problem is that I don't use very much at a time, and if you buy in small quantities, it's expensive, but larger bottles go off over time as fast or faster than CA, and get trashed. At one time I found a brand that sold epoxy in boxes of individual two part foil pouches. The box was like 25 or so envelopes, and each one made about a teaspoon. It was just as fresh when i ripped the last one open as it was when I used the first one like a year earlier. However, by the time I decided I needed some more, I couldn't find it again :-(

The most versitile type of epoxy I have found is jb weld, it will do just about anything, except look nice. It's the duct tape of the epoxy world.

Story of my life, seems.

But, if you need some right now, get it from Monte, his is great stuff and will keep as long as any.

snyiper

Contact Monty... he has a good 5 minute epoxy... I buy all of my glues from him.
+1
I also use the gorrillia glue as well as Sumo glue at times/ I have found if you do not cut the top but use a wood stick to apply the Poly glues they last a lot longer with out getting hard.

witz1976

+1 for Monty's epoxy and glue. However I find the 5 min was setting up a little too quickly when I am gluing up a good number of blanks at once, so I use loctite's 60 minute resin for that.

leestoresund

When I use epoxy I use Monty's. For me, I only mix up enough to do 4 tubes as I can't work any faster than that before it sets up.

Lee

hdtran

I've tried a lot of different brands of epoxy over the years, and most work pretty well for their intended job, less so the farther away from their design specifications you get. My main problem is that I don't use very much at a time, and if you buy in small quantities, it's expensive, but larger bottles go off over time as fast or faster than CA, and get trashed. At one time I found a brand that sold epoxy in boxes of individual two part foil pouches. The box was like 25 or so envelopes, and each one made about a teaspoon. It was just as fresh when i ripped the last one open as it was when I used the first one like a year earlier. However, by the time I decided I needed some more, I couldn't find it again :-(

The most versitile type of epoxy I have found is jb weld, it will do just about anything, except look nice. It's the duct tape of the epoxy world.

Story of my life, seems.

But, if you need some right now, get it from Monte, his is great stuff and will keep as long as any.

The foil pack is Hardman epoxy. They make very fast set (3 minute), fast (5 minute), slow (2 hrs), and probably more. They sell to industry, so you're unlikely to find at your local hardware store. You can use 1/4 of the foil pack (squeegee the epoxy out using a popsicle stick), then, fold over the foil pack top, tape, & reuse later. In an air-conditioned space, the opened foil pack (folded & taped) lasts several months. You can buy Hardman epoxy by mail-order (or online) from industrial supply houses, and also through Amazon.com

I personally use the PSI mid-cure epoxy, which has a 3-4 yr shelf life once opened. It has a longish working time (15 minutes or so). I typically allow to cure overnight, but I've successfully used it 3 hrs after gluing.

All epoxies can be accelerated with heating. I wouldn't heat past 100F, but I've put blanks into a warm oven (especially in the winter, when our house feels like it's at 62F).

jskeen

Thanks Hy. that's the stuff I was looking for, but sheesh, they are proud of it. Cheapest I found it online was just over a dollar each at 25 pieces, and just under for 100. Too rich for my blood. They also have, like, 20 different adhesives packaged that way. Wish I still had Uncle Sam buying cool stuff like that for me the way he did back when I was active duty.

Top Bottom