Epoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fitzman163

Middletown,PA via The Coal Region,Pittston, PA, US
This is the second batch that this has happened to. I bought 5 min Epoxy and each time the resin got hard in the bottle after a very short time and I am left with an almost full bottle of hardener. Whats going on here? I was never a big user of epoxy for my pens always a fan of Gorilla Glue and at this rate I may not try it again. Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Olsarge

I never use 5 min epoxy, but the resin for the mid cure will harden if you leave the top open while you are mixing and gluing(sp). I keep the top on except when I am pouring. Also I have noticed that if I leave the glue in the shop and it gets cold it seems to be thick, but after it warms up (60-70 degrees) it seems to be alright. Hope this helps.

zig613

When the resin gets hard take the cap off and place the bottle in the microwave. Nuke it on high for about 15-20 seconds. This will return it to a liquid state. Let it cool, mix with your hardener, and it works like new. Be careful not to leave it in too long... over heating will cause it to overflow and spattered all over the inside of the microwave.

Wade

Last edited:

LanceD

Nothing wrong with your hardner. Do as stated above. Take the cap off. Short five second bursts in the microwVe will bring it back to liquid. If you live in a cold climate area or keep it in the shed or garage with no heat the hardner will "crystallize" and turn solid or to a gel state.

sschering

I have been using an epoxy from Illstreet composites for gluing segments and tubes.
It's a thin laminating resin that cures clear with, no yellowing, with a 20 minute open time.
Very low odor. I can work with it at the dining room table without bothering anyone.

I bought a 1/2 gallon 2 years ago for doing some composite work... it's still good, and has not crystallized.

mixing ratio is 2:1 so I recommend using a scale that reads to .1 gram to measure your resin and hardener.

Laminating Epoxy Resin System - Medium (Quart Resin, 16oz Hardener)

edstreet

Gorilla glue is the clear gg or the jel ?

I use the polyurethane Gorilla Glue. It's brownish in color. This glue expands when curing, filling every gap there may be.

Gorilla glue does expand yes indeed. The 'foam' from where it expands is very weak and needs pressure from a clamp and a good tight fit for it to form any type of bond. The foam bonding properties is non-existent and does not hold up at all. In fact it's not even a glue bond at that point.

healeydays

It's strange that I bought 3 bottles of 5 minute resin by Mercury Adhesive from a dealer on Ebay that supposedly got it shipped to them 3 months ago and the resin was all hard when I got it. I then tried some 5 minute Stick Fast from another dealer who had it in stock less than 6 months and those were all solid too! When I contacted Mercury, they said stick it in the microwave for 10-12 seconds. Not exactly what I want to do every time I need to use the stuff. They say they are sending me replacements but haven't received them yet.

Mike B

Gorilla glue is the clear gg or the jel ?

I use the polyurethane Gorilla Glue. It's brownish in color. This glue expands when curing, filling every gap there may be.

Gorilla glue does expand yes indeed. The 'foam' from where it expands is very weak and needs pressure from a clamp and a good tight fit for it to form any type of bond. The foam bonding properties is non-existent and does not hold up at all. In fact it's not even a glue bond at that point.

Well...this is something I was not aware of. Thanks for pointing it out.

edstreet

In knifemaking gorilla glue was once thought of as the perfect material for hidden tang knives. hollow handle with blade tang going in, needing something to fill that void. theory went since gorilla glue expands 4 times the volume after you add water it would fill and seal and bond.

On the knife network we did some serious hardcore testing on epoxy's. Gorilla glue failed all the test when allowed to expand like that. the foam contained no adhesive strength or structure at all. The real strength was when the items was pressed together and the gorilla glue was allowed to expand on a microscopic level in the pressed materials. In fact it was some of the strongest bonding epoxy's used.

healeydays

So, if using that logic, wouldn't Gorilla glue for tube gluing wouldn't it fill any little nooks and crannies between the blank and tube?

fitzman163

Middletown,PA via The Coal Region,Pittston, PA, US
Thanks everyone. I have used GG for the last 10 or 12 years on pen tubes with little to no failure I can't say the same for the epoxy. To late to microwave it pissed me off so bad I threw away at that moment (temper temper that I have) so for now I will continue with GG until something better comes along. Please let me know what that may be. Thanks again!

edstreet

So, if using that logic, wouldn't Gorilla glue for tube gluing wouldn't it fill any little nooks and crannies between the blank and tube?

Yes it would. It could also damage the blank by excessive pressure, assuming the blank was soft, fragile and delicate.

Wood to metal
Recommended:
Gorilla Glue beat out every other adhesive in every test
Loctite E-120hp
K&G epoxy
Golf shafting epoxy by Golfsmith
Acraglass

Avoid:
Anaerobic curing adhesives
JB Weld

healeydays

Yes it would. It could also damage the blank by excessive pressure, assuming the blank was soft, fragile and delicate.

Wood to metal
Recommended:
Gorilla Glue beat out every other adhesive in every test
Loctite E-120hp
K&G epoxy
Golf shafting epoxy by Golfsmith
Acraglass

Avoid:
Anaerobic curing adhesives
JB Weld

I was thinking the same issue with pressure too.

Top Bottom