Enthusiasm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

G1Pens

So, what do you do when you lose your enthusiasm for turning pens (or anything else). I haven't turned a pen in a couple months. It just seems to have gotten boring. I just can't figure out what to do. I still want to do it, but cannot motivate myself to go down in my shop and do anything.

I think part of it is not having a lot of success with selling. I have sold some and felt good about it. I don't have the time or inventory to do shows.

I think what I do is of pretty good quality, not perfect but good. I have received compliments and people like what they see, but I am not seeing a decent return on my investment (either financially or emotionally),

So, any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
The first thing I do is take some time off from it. Then I clean the shop and see where that takes me. I do sell some pens, I never expected this hobby to pay for itself. I would say make more difficult pens. Takes more time and you have more fun per dollar spent.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Do something that will challenge you. Since selling is part of the deal, figure out something that will take your selling to another level. If your top pen is $250, figure out how to make a pen that you'd price at $500. It will probably help your sales and you just might get lucky and sell it.

Take your time making it - don't worry about the return on investment, just look for the self challenge.

firewhatfire

See how many pieces of wood you can put in a single pen. Bring it to the next IAP meeting and tell me how you did it. I am always looking for new ideas and don't mind spending 2-3 weeks on a single pen. I find I enjoy it a lot more when I don't have a plan. My last pent had 18 hours of work. My next will have more.

Tom T

Gary,
I am new to doing pens started in April of this year. So I still love it. The guys and gals on the sight talk about casting there own blanks and stuff, reverse painting, nibs, and kit less, I hope some day to do those things. But I need a mentor as I have to see it done. Reading about it does not work for me.

Here is a suggestion, there are several programs out there on turning pens for our troops, it does not pay anything but from what I have heard the troops love it a bunch. They have a tough job to do. Also one of the guys on the site started making pens for nurses at a local hospital, I think they worked in the cancer unit and had the pink ribbon emblem either stenciled or engraved in the body of the pen. This does not pay either though.
Over all there seems to be many great ways to make pens. I am still on kits mostly the euro design. I have not posted any yet. Because what I see on the site is so good.
May be there are some local chaplains in your area that need a special pen. When ever I give pens away it seems to brighten that persons day. Some more than others. I made bullet pens for some guys I do lunch with on Fridays, and one of there sons who was younger. Got a special note from the young man. Perhaps the crises pregnancy center volunteers need a lift up. A nice pen in ladies colors might do that.
Okay as you can see still love pen turning. I do get a little bored turning only the euros, but I am trying to break out of that. I recently saw some one who was turning ladies arm bracelets out of acrylic colors. They were really cool, but over my head right now.
Hope that is not to much stuff.
Good luck with the pen blues.
Tom

robutacion

So, what do you do when you lose your enthusiasm for turning pens (or anything else). I haven't turned a pen in a couple months. It just seems to have gotten boring. I just can't figure out what to do. I still want to do it, but cannot motivate myself to go down in my shop and do anything.

I think part of it is not having a lot of success with selling. I have sold some and felt good about it. I don't have the time or inventory to do shows.

I think what I do is of pretty good quality, not perfect but good. I have received compliments and people like what they see, but I am not seeing a decent return on my investment (either financially or emotionally),

So, any suggestions?

Unfortunately mate, what you are going through is not uncommon and will affect all of us, at some point...!

There has been a few good suggestions already given, and I would certainly start by spending some time, cleaning and going through everything you've got in it...!

I can tell you that, the source of your lost of enthusiasm has come from the fact that, you aren't making any sales and you want to make some money, for your efforts and investment. That though is running in your head far too deep and is getting you all stressed about the fact that, you are working and spending money and getting not much if anything in return.

Sure, we all want to make some money and we all deserve that, when we invest tight available funds in a hobby that we work damn hard, on however, there are far too many reasons why some people find very difficult to sell their products, and that is something that you may have no choice/say or you may need to work a lot harder in the sale aspect of the hobby.

I know how difficult that was and continue to be, as I don't like making shows nor, going around offering my products for sale or for display, that is the hardest part and one that I don't do any good at...!

There has been a large number of member on IAP that have expressed their disappointment at issues like yours and, those issues were discussed deeply providing some different directions, one can take, at least, try.

My suggestion to you is, start by cleaning and organizing your work-shop then, take some time off the shed and re-energise by doing other stuff you like to do but haven't had the time or the reason for, go fishing, something...!

I would then thing of something that I could do in the work-shop that you don't have to sell, something for yourself, the wife, friends, whatever...!
Make something that you may have not made before, with a small lathe you could make a couple of nice bowls for the wife, girlfriend, a friend, a relative, etc...!

Look at it as I test to your skill and ability to improvise/created something new. You are doing it for you own pleasure and enjoyment so, there is no need of being pressured with time, selling steps difficulty and profitability...!

If you spoil it, buggered it up, who cares...??? make another, learning from the mistakes and enjoy the feeling of having created something nice that you don't have to put a price tag on...!

When you feel ready to tackle pens again, try to make less and better ones, the ones that will require full attention to detail and some good workmanship, you will find that those will give you a very different reaction to anyone that can be a possible buyer, you also will feel a lot more "confident" in approaching anyone with a sale in mind...!

Someone once said to me, while accuracy shooting that, "If you don't feel right, you will not be able to shoot right...!"

Turning, wood or other materials is by itself, a very relaxing exercise, sure it can have its, nerve wracking moments, particularly with very large objects but in general, the act of wood turning is use by many people as a very effective des-stressing thing so, you have the right tools, you only have to find the right mood...!

Best of luck...!

Cheers
George

Andrew_K99

I'm in a similar spot mentally. The ROI (return on investment) is non existent. I'm working on building inventory so I can populate a website but it seems like a long drawn out money pit at the moment. I go back and forth on just giving my current pens away as gifts and giving up all together. As it stands I'm still plugging away with no end in sight.

Try turning a bowl and put it on your desk or counter filled with candy where you'll see it and get a smile from using it. I have a few items like this, they help motivate.

AK

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
Hope you guys come around. A short time off might help. I give away more than I sell and always try to keep a couple of hundred pens available in stock. Good lucj guys.

wtxrcdog

enthusiasum

I went to SWAT that is the best way I know of getting re invigorated.
The pen turning group was awesome to me. I also do other turning but always turn pens.

Bruce:laugh:

alamocdc

Gary, It has happened to me more than once. And when it does, I turn to something else for a bit. I do flatwork as well as turning so I have options. You might experiment with some inside-out turning and make some Christmas ornaments. They are easy to do and there are youtube videos showing how.

PenMan1

Gary:
Maybe it is time to do some "pen making" far away from the shop. I HAVE to do this from time to time. I just get as far away from the shop as possible. I don't even consider doing ANYTHING in the shop, but rather try to put something totally different, unique or even downright odd into a drawing.

For me, I just need to "get my groove back", so the design I put to paper doesn't have to be anything that I can build, but instead something I haven't seen before. Once I get the "weird" design onto paper my next step is to take it from weird and unusual to something abstract and functional. When I get to that point, I start thinking about how to go about making it. THEN, I start getting excited about getting back to the shop.

For me, doing the same old thing I've always done loses it's flavor quicker than baseball card bubble gum. A new design helps me put the flavor black.

It might just work for you, too! It's worth a try, as it only costs a few sheets of paper and a few doodles!

FWIW: I call this the "yippes" and it happens from time to time. GOOD LUCK!

Nick

Get some key ring kits,pendants or some small turned items, tops would be good as well.
After you get a good stock, go to a local Nursing Home around noon when all the residents are together and visit with them and give one of your items. You will make someone happy and you will get an uplift in what you did.

thewishman

Sometimes I have to take breaks. They have ranged from weeks to more that 8 months. Don't give it up until a year has passed and you still feel the same way. There have been a few guys that liquidated and then decided to start up again.

jd99

Dirversify your products, I make Band saw boxes, Candy Trays, and Cutting Boards to sell along with my pens, try different avenues to selling your pens if not selling is what is getting you down.

I don't sell the high end pens that frequently, but I found that the 7mm stuff I make and sell for a reasonably affordable price sell like hot cakes.

Sure it's boring making the same types of pens all the time but I also make the other things in my shop, so it keeps the mind busy.

I have consignment shops that sell out almost every week.

LL Woodworks

I was that way with pen turning, as a matter of fact I quit for over a year.

When I came back I started altering kits, turning closed end pens - leaving off center bands, making custom finials; anything that would present a challenge and alter a kit.

Then I started making segmented blanks, then the scalloped blanks and altering kits.

Then I started casting my own blanks, first with PR then Alumilite.

Now I'm into custom or "kitless" as some call it and love it. I've challenged myself to make custom pens of different sizes using different tap & die sets, different designs using multiple materials (PR - aluminum and wood). Design different shape pen bodies, caps, finials and grip sections using skills developed from the above listed challenges - the challenges are endless.

But you have to do what makes you happy. I do it for therapy and as a hobby. I refuse to let pen making create pressure or tension; all that is self imposed if you let it happen. Take a break - figure out what you want out of pen making the Relax and enjoy!

Good luck I hope you find your answer.

G1Pens

Thanks to everyone for all the encouragement. I am sure that the obsession will return at some point. I always enjoyed making stuff, just seems like life gets in the way sometimes!! I guess its just that I went from almost an obsession to doing nothing. I may sign up for the PITH. I've always enjoyed doing those. I will try some other things that have been suggested as well. I think I have just let life get out of balance and I need to turn something to get it back in balance.

This is a great group and I am proud to be a part of it.

Thanks again

brownsfn2

I definitely have this issue every once in a while. Here is what I do in order:

1. clean shop
2. Turn bowl (makes shop messy)
3. Clean shop
4. Make a bandsaw box
5. Clean shop
6. Criticize bowl and box
7. Realize I do better on pens
8. Back to pen making.

Hope that helps. :)

Rick P

One of the reasons I do so many diferent things is I get bored easily! If I was limited to one form of expression or pass time I'd put a bullet in my head! Take some time off and do something diferent before you are completely burned out. Go fishing for a change, play with clay or plaster for a while. Getting outside the box informs and inspires your work leading it to new areas you might not have thought of. Step away from the lathe for a bit and explore something new.........new techniques and a fresh perspective are never a bad thing.

Inspiration is a fickle thing, ya can force a blue print but not the Mona Lisa.

GaryMGg

Gary,
I took a quick walk thru your online album. My suggestions:

Build some complex blanks such as segmented brickwork. A 6-piece pizza per row works nice.
Do some flatwork for a while; build some endgrain cutting boards and boxes.
Make some pens for ServicePens :biggrin:
Make some tops and bring 'em to a nearby Children's Hospital--give them to the candy strippers or nurses' station to be given out.
Take your family out for ice cream. :present:

srf1114

I'm kind of in the same position. Got about 120 completed Pens, no urge to make more. Havent been in the shop for a pen since March. I did pour some PR blanks tonight, but my heart just wasn't in it. Think I need to try something else. Thought I'd try some other projects. Will see how it is done.

Russknan

Hard to add anything to the good advice above, but here goes. I'm still relatively new to pen turning, and the obsession has yet to subside. But I've experienced what you describe with other hobbies. What works for me is having a NUMBER of hobbies, and rotating them from time to time. These have included fishing, metal detecting, shooting, wine making, and beer and rootbeer making. With the last ones, unlike making but not selling pens, your inventory is depleted as you further enjoy the "fruits" of your hobby!

If that doesn't work and the thing that sticks in you most is that you are not getting a return on your investment, as a psychologist, may I suggest the following: 1. Get out a pen. You have some of these already, so that's easy. 2. Get out a piece of paper. 3. Write down what it would cost you for golf clubs, a bag, a hand cart, balls, a glove and shoes. 4. Write down what you would pay for greens fees twice a week at a local or desired golf course. 5. Calculate the cost to replace all those balls you will lose in water hazards and deep woods if you have as highly-developed a slice as I had when I used to play golf. 6. Now add in the cost of healthcare to repair the damage to your body and psyche from the extreme frustration that comes from being a lousy golfer. 7. Total all of the above. 8. And, finally, estimate what you have invested in equipment, kits and blanks for any unsold pens you currently have. Compare the two figures. Feel better now, don't you? Russ

BassBlaster

I'm in the same situation and Ive only been turning pens for about 9 months. My problem is people look at what I have done and want to order the same thing. It dosnt matter what I say is available and what I can do they always want what they can see. I'm just burnt out on doing the same thing over and over. I want to try new things and better things. My solution is that I have stopped taking custom pen orders for the time being and I'm gonna try things I havnt done before, starting with casting!! I'm also going to get into some higher end stuff. I want to make pens that will sell for $100 plus either online or in galleries but I cant get away from cheap slimlines and cigars.

JCochrun

I had the same feelings. For my birthday, my wife got me a one week woodturning workshop at Craft Supplies in Utah. Being around other turners really helped. What helped more was that I learned to turn things other than a pen. Made my first bowl and platter. After making a flower vase (they called it a twig pot), my motivation came back really quickly. I made some bolt action bullet pens. I can't make them fast enough right now. Everyone I work with wants one. I have 15 on order right now. I've never been able to get a stock of pens made. I know I will be using some of the advice that others have given here. Sometimes just taking some time off helps.

Jim

Top Bottom