Enjoyment!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

I sure have enjoyed turning in the last several weeks. Why because the new Woodchuck tool I bought from member Ken Ferrell. I'm finally cutting ribbons off the blank. I'm looking at a blank Hawaii Blue Made a Electra & Sierra pen from the same blank. Was able to cut and polish the blank within one hour. cutting drilling painting the blank and glue 2 days. so the paint and glue are thoroughly dry. Sorry ED blank came from CUSA but the kits came from you. Will be turning several Constant blanks today.
Well i lied I see a leopard's blank I bought several years ago from "Ed" . Turned like butter. Again turning has been an enjoyment here with the Woodchuck thanks Ken!! 4:star:'s for Ken! 1:star: for Ed and 5:star:'s for PR.

I know no picture didn't happen! Some day I'm going to break out my camera equipment! :rolleyes: :biggrin: ( I'm a retired professional photographer)

And GO Giants!:biggrin:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GoodTurns

I'm with you! the woodchuck has made my shop time much more enjoyable (and yes, I do know how to properly use a skew, this is just so much easier and cleaner).

I'm new to the game and don't know how to properly use a skew and may never know now that I have my Woodchuck. I'm sure Ken is tired of everyone going on and on about his tools :wink: but The finish left by the Woodchuck is fantastic! I go right to the 600 grit for sanding wood and right to the MM for acrylic. Thanks Ken, for stunting my skills with any other tool...

Chris

ctubbs

I learned how to use gouges, skews, cut off tools and other pieces of turning things. they are all well hidden now I am the proud owner of my new woodchuck. Thank you Ken. Upon his advice, I did purchase the longer one. When it came in, I grabbed a piece of 2X white oak, threw it between centers and turned a handle for the tool with the tool. I know, there aint no cure for stupid, but I did it anyway. This tool is wonderful. If you already have one, you know just how good it is. If you do not yet own one of these, rob the kids piggy bank and call Ken right now.

No' I do not have any financhal (speling?) connection to Ken, jsut singing the tools praises.
Charles

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Bill,

1) congrats on the new tool that brought happiness back to your turning.
2) be sure to bring it to the next gathering so you can demo it. :biggrin:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Thats interesting... I have to say I love mine too... But for me, that last part of the turning will always be a skew. The carbide tool ROCKS for rough turning and for removing a ton of material quickly, but I can still get a smoother final shape with a skew.

I'd love to see a video of someone who uses it for final turning. Maybe that would help understand how it does so much good for others.

jttheclockman

Thats interesting... I have to say I love mine too... But for me, that last part of the turning will always be a skew. The carbide tool ROCKS for rough turning and for removing a ton of material quickly, but I can still get a smoother final shape with a skew.

I'd love to see a video of someone who uses it for final turning. Maybe that would help understand how it does so much good for others.

I am with you on this one. I am going to assume that this tool is being used more like a scraper. What type cutter is everyone using??? A picture would help.

alphageek

Former Moderator

ctubbs

I start out with the tool flat as in the video. Then I set it on a 45 and angle it to the blank much like it is a skew. YMMV, but it works for me.
Charles

Top Bottom