Engraving pen hardware?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

webmonk

I've been searching fruitlessly (probably because I'm not sure how to ask the question) for information on engraving into pen hardware.

My specific case is that I have a customer who is insistent on having initials running down the clip on a Gold Titanium Gentleman's pen so you can see them when it's in their shirt pocket. She also didn't like the idea of them being "stamped" (which she says leaves a dotted appearance) and I was unsure what it looks like if you engrave something that has a plating on it. My thought was having it done with a laser, but when I called the one guy I knew who has a laser he said he'd never tried it on pen hardware and didn't seem that interested in giving it a go.

So anyway, I guess I'm looking for information in general on if it can be done plus any good advice/info from you gents who have had experience with it.

Thanks in advance!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

I would think that engraving on the plating could lead to plating failure. Also, I'm not sure how visible the engraving would be. That said, I think a rotary engraver would do the trick.

JimGo

I would think, as Stan said, that you'll wind up engraving through the plating, which will likely cause it to fail. I'd make the person sign something saying that they understand this risk.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
The platings on most of our kits vary from 8 to 20 microns. That's pretty darned thin for engaving. It's possible, though. You might consider annodizing.

Randy_

I agree with the thinking that the engraving will not be legible to anyone who is more than about six inches away from the pen. See what your client thinks about the "PIPS" initials from Berea that go on the end of the pen cap.

Scott

Hi Jon!

You're best bet would be to have a jeweler engrave the clip for you. As has been mentioned, the engraving will go through the plating, and you will run the risk of the plating failing. But plating sticks pretty well, so it may be worth the risk. To set the engraving off I would consider filling the engraving with something, like colored epoxy or something. Maybe rub-n-buff.

Good luck! Please show us the results!

Scott.

Rifleman1776

I once tried to have a gold cross fixed to the clip of a Ti gold Baron. A custom jewler couldn't touch the finish with standard tools and ruined several drills in the process. Being stubborn, I tried at home and managed to mangle the clip and ruin several drill bits, including carbide in the process. Another jewelry designer wouldn't even attempt the job with his laser welder/drill.
My suggestion? Forget it or make your own clip. But doing that will mean it won't be Ti plated.

wudnhed

Maybe Ken Nelson at Kallenshaan Woods can help you. He might have some suggestions or be able do it for you, worth a try........ (702)523-9236

seht

What about an acid etch. I haven't tried this with any of our plated stuff yet. I have only ever played with it on solid materials not plated.

I stole this part, because they say it better than I can, but here is the basics of acid etching

In pure etching, a metal (usually copper, zinc or steel) plate is covered with a waxy ground which is resistant to acid ( I always used fingernail polish.) The artist then scratches off the ground with a pointed etching needle[1] where he wants a line to appear in the finished piece, so exposing the bare metal. The échoppe, a tool with a slanted oval section is also used for "swelling" lines.[2] The plate is then dipped in a bath of acid, technically called the mordant (from the French for "bite"), or has acid washed over it.[3] The acid "bites" into the metal, where it is exposed, leaving behind lines sunk into the plate.

seht

got my interest back up with this. Went and did some searching and found this link. No idea how or if it works worth a darn, but it seems much simpler and more accurate that the acid etching I had done in the past.

http://www.etching-metal.com/
Kind of reminds me of one of the Ronco dial a matic pocket fisherman, it dices it slices, it etches your pens.

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by seht
<br />got my interest back up with this. Went and did some searching and found this link. No idea how or if it works worth a darn, but it seems much simpler and more accurate that the acid etching I had done in the past.

http://www.etching-metal.com/
Kind of reminds me of one of the Ronco dial a matic pocket fisherman, it dices it slices, it etches your pens.

I have looked into this for marking metals. Don't think it will work on wood simply because there is a solution of some sort to use.

JimGo

You might try sending Etch-o-matic one of our clips to see if they can etch it. Please report back any results! Who knows, maybe we can get a group buy together if it works! [:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by JimGo
<br />I will try sending Etch-o-matic one of our clips to see if they can etch it. Subsequently, reporting back any results! Who knows, maybe we can get a group buy together if it works! [:D]

I believe that was a VOLUNTEER!!!!!

Good man, JimGo!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Sorry, Lou!

I gave it my best shot. This JImGo guy has been railroaded before!!! He ducked when I thought he would weave.[:D][:D][:D]

TBone

Originally posted by DCBluesman
<br />Heck, I might have to get one just to mark my drill bit sizes in a larger font. Old age can be cruel to one's eyesight!

I agree, I have to turn them to get a reflection sometimes even with glasses. I've sworn at Sears for not coming out with those laser etched sockets before I already had a couple of sets in the smaller print. [V] I'd like to have one of these just to etch my id in my tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom