Engraving to look like carving?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scooley01

A lady emailed me this afternoon wondering if I could do a pen, and have it engraved with a picture...a heart with an arrow through it, and hers and her fiance's initials, for a Valentine's day gift. She wants to know if I can make it look the way it would if you hand carved it in a tree.

If I just have a local engraving place engrave a plane line drawing I do on the computer, is it going to look anything like what she's describing? More importantly, is there anything I can do to make it look like what she's describing?

I told her I'd look into it...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phunky_2003

I'd PM newlondon88 (may have to check the spelling) and talk to him. He has done some star trek and Mount Rushmore. He's done some special order stuff for me. If he isnt too busy he may be able to do what your looking for. He would definately be the one to ask.

Scooley01

That would definitely be cool...but she's asking for this for Valentine's day, which doesn't leave much time. Is the turnaround short enough that I can use someone on here versus a local engraver?

Edit: I'm not sure if the 3D is necessary. I think what really makes it look hand carved is that the lines aren't perfectly straight...and maybe a little dark brown paint in the engraving?

400_F_33141267_GLhx82w6rWsQs74z408JtCaMEcfIUKJa.jpg

Last edited:

StephenM

Do you have a Dremel? Tubes are cheap so turn a couple of practice ones and engrave it with the Dremel - that should give you the hand carved appearance. When you get one that you're happy with, send her a picture and see if you're on the same page. The good thing about the practice tubes is you could probably get 5 or 6 on each tube before you run out of space so you'll have lots of room to make mistakes and fine tune your touch.

Make up a threaded rod with a couple of wahsers and nuts to use as a vice and do it under a magnifying lens.

Scooley01

Last edited:

DMGill

If she wants it to look like it was carved in a tree, use an exacto knife and carve it just like you would put your initials on a tree with a pocket knife.

low_48

You can get an electronic vibrator engraver at Harbor Freight for less than $10. With light pressure, it might work really well. I once made a pen for the wife that was a drilled out twig. I knocked off the bark locally, then used a wood burner to put in the initials. She loved it.

You could use the paint program on your computer to create a jpeg to give to the engraver. If you have as much skill as I do with the mouse it would look rough and if the resolution is over 600x600 the picture should be detailed enough for the job.

I have not yet done this, but may give it a try for valentines for my wife!

jmbaker79

Own a dremel engraver tool and use it to take up space in a drawer. Used it once on black walnut with dissappointing results. Dremel does make an engraving kit for a standard dremel that gives many more options to the user. Good luck, love the idea!

Last edited:

ttpenman

Just draw it by hand (or have the customer do it, just make sure they use a black pen - new Sharpie works best) the way you want it and give it to your engraver. They can scan it and laser it on the pen. Should be no problem.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

titan2

You can also check with a local gunsmith that does hand engraving on the guns (steel) and the stocks & grips (wood).......might be able to work something out and he'd have all the tools and skill to knock it out in no time.

Good luck.....let us know how it turns out.

Barney

Scooley01

So if I'm just having it engraved, do I put a finish on after turning, and then have it engraved? Or do I take the sanded, unfinished barrel to the engraver, then bring it home and put a finish over the engraving?

Scooley01

I would assume you finish it after engraving...but sand first so you don't sand anything away...can someone chime in on this?

And how much extra would you typically charge a customer for the engraving? Just what the engraver charged you? Engraving cost plus your time? Flat rate of $X?

Scooley01

No responses?

I'm waiting on a call/email from a couple local engravers. If they can't get a quick enough turnaround for me, I'll go the Dremel route. Is the consensus there that it would be better to get a regular Dremel rotary tool with engraving bits, as opposed to the dedicated Dremel Engraver?

keithbyrd

I would assume you finish it after engraving...but sand first so you don't sand anything away...can someone chime in on this?

And how much extra would you typically charge a customer for the engraving? Just what the engraver charged you? Engraving cost plus your time? Flat rate of $X?
IF you finish aftyer engraving you will fill the engraving. On a couple I did it looked more like a decal on the wood than engaved.

cwolfs69

i typically finish with CA after engraving and filling. i think it magnifies the engraving and makes it look suspended if highly polished (mm to 12000 and PlastX).
as for charge, i usually charge about 2X the engraving cost. still very reasonable at $12.00 per pen.

Sent from my Galaxi via forerunner

Scooley01

So, I'm kind of out of options.

1) Exacto knife failed. It makes thin slices in the wood, which don't show at all except from side angles...not visible enough.

2) Got a dremel, and the finest engraving tip I could find...too wide. No way will I be able to get the whole image on the pen barrel, and have the initials readable. Still, I'm not disappointed that I bought a dremel...tons of stuff to use it for.

3) Engraving place in town said they'd be happy to do it...but she said there's typically a 1-week turnaround. One week from now IS Valentine's Day, so that wouldn't leave any shipping time...I'm going to go up there tomorrow and see if I can pay for rush service, but other than that, I'm out of options :(

Jgrden

So, I'm kind of out of options.

1) Exacto knife failed. It makes thin slices in the wood, which don't show at all except from side angles...not visible enough.

2) Got a dremel, and the finest engraving tip I could find...too wide. No way will I be able to get the whole image on the pen barrel, and have the initials readable. Still, I'm not disappointed that I bought a dremel...tons of stuff to use it for.

3) Engraving place in town said they'd be happy to do it...but she said there's typically a 1-week turnaround. One week from now IS Valentine's Day, so that wouldn't leave any shipping time...I'm going to go up there tomorrow and see if I can pay for rush service, but other than that, I'm out of options :(
Go to Willis on Main Street, Hwy 75, and the guy will do it while you are waiting for $6.50

Top Bottom