"Engraving" at home

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I don't have a rotary attachment on my mill or software to do a 3D profile for engraving, so I got thinking about how to do larger engravings. I was thinking about how I used to make etched mirrors and such for friends a few years ago by masking and sandblasting.

I decided to try etchgraving on my first cast. I put a strip of blue painters tape on the pen, taped a printout of what I wanted to etchgrave to it, cut it out with an exacto and gave it a light sandblasting.

It came out great. I have a bit of fubar on the edges because I used 3/4" tape and did wrap the rest of the tube, so you can see the lines left there, but it looks great overall.

This takes a $10 sandblaster from Home Depot, a $6 bag of sand from ace, and a few cents worth of tape.

I have found that I can do down to about a 3/32" line by this method, though that would probably be degraded by having to cut it on a curved surface. It is super time consuming, but a much cheaper alternative to customizing than getting an engraver.

After I finished it, my wife comes out and wants to know why I did that by hand, rather than using my vinyl cutter.

*facepalm*

Attachments

• etch1.JPG
    etch1.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 329
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Be careful using regular sand in a sandblaster, it can cause problems with your lungs, get blasting media, I get mine from Harbor Freight, do a search to find a place where you live.

PaulDoug

Boy, that brings to mind all kind of possibilities. And I just gave my nice TIP sand blaster to my nephew..... I wonder what some of the glass etching materials would do? Least I think there is such a thing. I know you can etch glass with a sand blaster.

Fibonacci

Be careful using regular sand in a sandblaster, it can cause problems with your lungs, get blasting media, I get mine from Harbor Freight, do a search to find a place where you live.

I experimented with the HF blasting media, but found that it still had more than enough fine particulate matter to be a problem. It has less than straight sand, but more than is safe.

I use a respirator with the sandblaster at all times. Better safe than sorry.

Top Bottom