Engraving Filling

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JHFerrell

Spike...don't know if that dye would work or not. I did just see something about color fills at Ken Nelson's site...www.kallenshanwoods.com (i think that's right) something along those lines anyway.

its_virgil

I use a product called 'Rub-N-Buff' to fill engravings when needed. Get it at one of the box hobby/craft stores.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Spike
<br />If I ergraved something on a turned pen blank could I fill the empty space with tinted ca using this tint from woodcraft?:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5522

Rudy Vey

I have use Acrylic paint that can be found in Art and Craft stores in small to larger quantities. Worked fine for me. I think that is what the engravers use, too.

melogic

Rudy,
Do you seal the paint afterwards or just leave it as it is? Do you just use a paint brush with a tip according to what you are wanting to do?

laserturner

Most of the acrylic paste consistancy paints from the craft/hobby stores work great. Basically wipe or brush on and with a dry piece of paper towel immediately wipe off. The paint will remain in the engraved areas only. Clean up any remaining paint with a damp Q-tip. Make sure you have a finish on the pen. Otherwise the paint won't wipe off the unengraved area and you'll have to re-sand. Once the paint has set up for a bit, Renaissance wax is all I use over it.

Fangar

I can attest to Ken's method. He silver colorfilled the dragon pen we made and it really came out great and reportedly is holding up well by the customer.

Fangar

Rudy Vey

Originally posted by melogic
<br />Rudy,
Do you seal the paint afterwards or just leave it as it is? Do you just use a paint brush with a tip according to what you are wanting to do?

See the answer below from laserturner, he says it pretty much. I might stress that you should finish your pen and I apply at least 2-3 coats of TSW, if you don't do this there is always a small chance that you will smear it into the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom