Engraving - again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

I'm not talking about decoration, but putting a trademark or my initials on the pen fittings somewhere. The problem that usually comes up is that engraving or stamping might compromise the plating. So I was looking in a pile of Rio Grande Jewelry Supply catalogs given me by a custom jeweler friend and I think I might have figured out a workable, but expensive option.

You can get wee custom stamps made up on special order for not a large amount of money. Or you can just buy a set of stamps. Them, a jewelers hammer and anvil you can probably do for much less than $200. So what do I do about my compromised plating.

It seems that there are a number of 'plating pan' sets that will let me retouch the plating with either rhodium or gold (and a few other choices as well). Only problem? The total outlay for the plating set is close to a grand. That's a lot to lay out for starters. My thinking is that a 'signed' and serial numbered pen has a selling advantage. Galleries certainly seem to think so, anyway.

What do you think? Is that too much to pay for individuation. Or would it make expensive pens 'special' enough to command premium prices (workmanship being equal, of course)?

Marc

Last edited:

VisExp

If you depreciated it at say $10 per pen, it would take 100 pens to fully depreciate. I'm sure the initials would allow you to add more than $10 to the price of the pen.

If you also offer a plating service to other pen makers then you would recoup your investment a lot quicker. Of course by doing so you might lose your edge on "individuality".

marcruby

The plating part is fascinating. The pen can be quite specific about there the plating goes, and ordinary lacquer can be used as a resist. I'm going to try to track down a course on that kind of work so that I know what I need to buy without killing my bank account.

Marc

Top Bottom