Engraving Advice, Please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rink

I will be making 4 matching pens for a group of guys who all worked on a project together. I'm leaning toward the Triton kit, with matching segmented blanks. I've made a few Tritons and really like them. Just enough elegance, but not too much bling. However, I'd like to engrave these four…on the metal, not the wooden body. I was thinking about engraving on the clip. But the Triton kit has a shaped clip, not flat. I'm concerned that may present an engraving challenge.

I'd like to engrave the first name and the number (e.g. "1 of 4"). The longest name is 8 letters. If I don't have enough space, I may consider initials instead of the names.

My question is whether the Triton clip can be engraved dependably? If so, who could do it well? If not, is there a kit of similar style/quality that's better for engraving? Also, is there a better idea for engraving than the clip (e.g. cap or band)? I know I don't want to engrave the wooden body/cap, I want to engrave the metal. If I go w/ the Triton, it will be the Triton convertible, chrome with upgold accents.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

I have had several projects where I had to have the clips or other metal parts "engraved". Due to the plating of the parts I actually had the parts laser etched as engraving the plating would not work. It is a bit pricey ( at least here in MA) ...I pay about $10 each and also have to sacrifice a cap sometime to allow them to "dial in" the power of the etching without destroying the metal...a bit trial and error some times.

good luck

Quality Pen

I have had several projects where I had to have the clips or other metal parts "engraved". Due to the plating of the parts I actually had the parts laser etched as engraving the plating would not work. It is a bit pricey ( at least here in MA) ...I pay about $10 each and also have to sacrifice a cap sometime to allow them to "dial in" the power of the etching without destroying the metal...a bit trial and error some times.

good luck
Greg, I was curious about this.... how well does the engraving hold up? I imagine it is a very shallow engraving?

Dan Masshardt

You should change your mind and engrave the wood instead. :)

Better yet not engrave the pen at all but make or get some nice wood boxes to do the engraving on.

If I was going to get hardware engraved, it would be the stainless kits.

bobleibo

I have a guy here who does all of my engraving using a laser. As long as you can produce a copy of what you want, pictures or lettering - MSWord works best - he can do it, HOWEVER in my opinion
- engraving the clip is going to be very small which causes the detail in the lettering to be lost
- I agree with Dan and would only engrave the body. I've never been happy with the detail work on things as small as clips.

I've had him do quite a few pens and other things and have always been happy. The clip on a Triton has quite a bit of curve near the top and it might not give you much to work with.

Like I said, just my opinion for what little that is worth :)
I'd be happy to give you his contact info if you want it.
Good luck~
Bob

keithbyrd

I am looking for someone to engrave the metal also - am trying to talk the customer out of it but....they are wanting to order several hundred pens and I don't want to mess this up!!
So my question is - has anyone tried "Things Remembered"? They are at most malls and a lot of their stuff is plated and they say you can carry in a gift purchased somewhere else for engraving? Any thoughts or experience with these?

Last edited:
Top Bottom