engraving acrylics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jahlg

Is it possible to engrave acrylics??? I know Kallanshen(sorry for the spelling if wrong) does the engraving, but doesnt mention of acrylics, just reference to wood.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

I've had acrylic and Tru Stone engraved with no problems. Alternative ivory can also be engraved, but it requires a hotter setting than either acrylic or Tru Stone.

ashaw

Ken engraved this in acrylic for me.

2007419185127_upenn-pen.jpg
<br />

Chasper

In my real job--pen turning is just what I do for fun--I manage a company that does a good deal of laser engraving and cutting in a production environment. We don't do custom work, talk to Kallenshaan Woods for custom laser engraving.

I'm repeatedly amazed at what the laser can cut. We use it to cut into wood, glass, resin castings of all types, natural stone and minerals (sandstone, limestone, selenite, florite, and rock salt as well as very hard minerials like quartz), paper and fabrics. It will cut a stack of paper and inch thick with ease, or the power can be turned down and it will just rough up the surface of a single sheet of card stock. We cut stacks of fabric for doll clothes, and we turn back the power and just slightly melt the surface of mirco-fleece to emboss a name or logo.

On soft materials like wood and paper it literally burns into or through a substrate. On harder materials like glass it sort of chips or etches the surface. With high power and slow speed a 120 watt laser will cut through an inch thick piece of bullet proof plexi and in the same pass engrve fine print. It will not engrave on hard reflective surfaces like brass or steel, it will etch an aluminum sheet.

They are amazing machines, I'd spend more time playing with them if we didn't keep them so busy.

Chasper

Rudy Vey

You can have acrylics and other plastics engraved with a laser, I believe the engraving turns white and has to be filled, if you like, with another color. I even had Titanium metal pens engraved, the engraving came out black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom