Engraving acrylic barrels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jdthornton

Can anyone offer any opinions on engraving acrylic barrels? Is it possible / feasibile and does it look good? I have a customer requesting this and at present I'm at a loss as to how to answer the request. Never had this type of request on an acrylic pen before.
Thanks for any advice and replies!
David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dtswebb

David,

Best bet is to check with Ken at Kallenshaan Woods or the gentleman's who's name escapes me at Lazerlinez. If anyone can help you, I believe these are your two best sources.

Good luck,

Matthew

jdthornton

David,

Best bet is to check with Ken at Kallenshaan Woods or the gentleman's who's name escapes me at Lazerlinez. If anyone can help you, I believe these are your two best sources.

Good luck,

Matthew

Thanks Matthew!... I need to order a couple of inlay kits for Christmas gifts, I'll ask Ken next week when I place my order.

low_48

Acrylic will engrave, but not change the color like it does with wood. It chars the wood and that is what gives you the color. So on the acrylic, you have to use a color fill, or Rub-n-buff to add color to the engraved letters.

I hade a couple of acrylic pens engraved with a logo and the person's name and I used the fabric paint fro Michaels. It is really thick and stays where you put it, the logo was a bright red and the names I did in black. Leave the paint a little high and when it dries wet sand back down and I applied several coats of CA to seal the engraving and it gives it some depth. I should say I also turned the blanks a few thousands under and put 2 coats of thin CA before I sent them to the engraver, my thinking was it would help in cleaning the blank up after you filled the inlay with the paint.

i have done a few pens in acrylic and had them engraved then colored in. The acrylic was blue and black, had it colored in silver, then had a black pen box etched in silver..... winning combination.I will try and post under SOYP.

Top Bottom