engraving acrylic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
What is the process that needs to be done to have a acrylic pen engraved? Should I have it ground down to where I start the sanding process and then have it engraved? Should I have it engraved deep enough to paint and fill in with glue and then complete the sanding process? I'm finding laser engraving isn't deep enough to get what I feel is enough to fill in with paint and glue and have enough "margin of error" for sanding.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Most folks just rub in a color fill after engraving. You can ask for more depth if you want, they will slow down the engraving, or higher laser setting. Are you talking about filling with CA when you are asking about glue? If you want that inlaid look, make sure the product they fill with is compatible with CA.

Dan Masshardt

Now, what about painting it in then using the glue to fill it in?

If you want it filled, most engravers have a process to do it for you. Usually a silver or gold is common I think but others are possible I believe.

Why would you want to paint in it? If anything fill with something solid colored.

Low, I've been to 2 engraver's and they, in my mind, can't get deep enough. One engraver made 4 passes and that was as deep as they could go. I was gonna paint in the engraved area cause I will be using 2 colors. Then I was gonna full in the engraved area with CA glue to seal it then of course finish the sanding process. I did the same thing to a wood blank that turned out excellent, but plastic seems to be a bit of a issue. Unless I can find someone that uses the needle type engraver which seems to be hard to find.

Dan, the 2 engraver's I've been to don't do that, I don't know why. I'm trying to put a guys logo on it and his colors are yellow and black. If there are other ways to do this, I'm all ears. Trying to learn all I can and see what can work.

low_48

I've used fabric paint to fill in engraving. You can get it at Michaels. It comes with a really fine tip on a squeeze bottle. It's meant for writing on t-shirts and such. Overfill the engraving, it doesn't really have to be deep, because it will shrink when it dries. I use a micro mesh sanding stick and wet sand it flush. It's also not uncommon for an air bubble, so I go back with a second fill if I need more product or need to fill a bubble or two. Comes in lots of colors. I don't put anything on top of it, just the thick acrylic paint.

Top Bottom