Engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Max

If I wanted something portable--- I could use at a show--I want to engrave someone's name to personalize the pen. I am thinking about my 308 casings---- something that's is table top and doesn't cost several thousand dollars.
Am I dreaming or is there such a machine??????????
I have looked at ebay without and luck.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

How about one of the high speed power carvers like the powercrafter or foredom? You would need either very steady hands or some sort of a jig/stencil set but it may work.

KenV

I only know of the ones that cost in the low thousands, but are relatively portable. Retatively is a tricky term --

I have been saving my nickles and dimes for a Taig CNC Mill with a Sherline rotary table mounted on it. Takes a computer to drive it (can be an older, cheap laptop) New with software and tooling $2000-$2500. You then get to become more of a computer graphics and processing person also. I am already a semi-techno-geek.

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />If I wanted something portable--- I could use at a show--I want to engrave someone's name to personalize the pen. I am thinking about my 308 casings---- something that's is table top and doesn't cost several thousand dollars.
Thanks

Are you looking for a manual pantograph like the Hermes IM3 Gravograph?

http://www.gravograph.com/usa/Engraving%20Machines/IM3.php

Or do you want something digital like the Xenetech Viper GE

http://www.xenetech.com/viperge_overview.asp

or you could go small digital like this one, MPX-70 Metaza Impact Printer.

"The desktop device uses an advanced carbide-tipped stylus to strike metal surfaces with high speed and precision. It removes no material and operates quietly, making it ideal for jewelry stores, mall kiosks and photography studios."

We have one of these at the shop. I'll take a cartridge up tomorrow and see if we can make her shoot so to speak. Only problem is making a jig to hold the casing.

http://www.rolanddga.com/asd/products/ImpactPrinters/MPX70/default.asp?menu=SPECIFICATIONS&nxt=3

Chasper

I've only owned twin tube lasers with high speed production tables. For a full set-up with a laser engraver, pen rotating jig, pc to drive it, Corel Draw software and a cheap scanner to bring in graphic files or signatures; I think the cost would add up to about $20-24,000. Maybe you could get it for a little less used, but I've been looking for an additional small system and used machines are not much cheaper than the new ones.

I looked at a machine for about $6,000--that would add up to about $8-9,000 for a full system. The manufacturer cautioned me that it was not intended for operating two full shifts, five days per week.

The laser systems that I'm familiar with are moveable (lugable), but not exactly portable.

Chasper

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />If I wanted something portable--- I could use at a show--I want to engrave someone's name to personalize the pen. I am thinking about my 308 casings---- something that's is table top and doesn't cost several thousand dollars.
Thanks

So far Gary it looks like you need a rich uncle in very poor health! [xx(]

n7bsn

Well.... I've never done this. But I have talked to people that own a laser engraver, turn pens and engrave them.
None of them use a rotor.
All engrave wood, not plastic (bad for you) or brass (dito, and for the engraver).
Not one does it "on site" (at shows), rather they take orders and deliver.
I have yet to find one that engraves the new owners "signature", rather just use a clean font from software (ie no scanner needed)

There are Chinese made laser engravers on the market, I don't know if they are cheap, or inexpensive (cheap fail fast, inexpensive is low cost, but workable). These range as low as $2000. PLUS the PC, scanner, software, etc.

mrcook4570

Originally posted by n7bsn
<br />Well.... I've never done this. But I have talked to people that own a laser engraver, turn pens and engrave them.
None of them use a rotor.
All engrave wood, not plastic (bad for you) or brass (dito, and for the engraver).

To engrave a single line of text, you do not need a rotary attachment. But if you want a design that wraps around the barrel, then you will need a rotary attachment. A laser will engrave all sorts of plastics - acrylic, celluloid, pr, corian, etc, except pvc - bad for the machine. They can be used to mark metals, but not engrave or cut until you get into the really expensive machines.

Chasper

Years ago, before lasers were affordable (as if they aren't outrageously expensive even now) I engraved pens, glassware, brass plates, etc with a pentagram router/engraver. I had some New Hermes machines, I think I still have a couple stored away somewhere. I know the machines are still used in the trophy engraving business. They are a lot more affordable--you should be able to find a used machine on ebay for $500 or less--and also a lot more portable. Font choices are seriously limited.

I used to have logos and more ornate type engraved onto brass plates (expensive, $300-500 each) and then traced them with the stylus on the New Hermes to transfer them on wood plaques or glassware. That would be an option if you had an order for a large number of pens with the same logo.

At the other extreme and for a lot of money, there are minature CNC routers that doll house makers and model makers use. You could carve a pretty amazing three dimensional sculptured design into a pen tube with one of those.

C

NancyLaird

Originally posted by n7bsn
<br />I have yet to find one that engraves the new owners "signature", rather just use a clean font from software (ie no scanner needed)

We can and will engrave signatures on pens. All we need is a clean signature in black ink (rollerballs work well) on white paper with no creases near the signature. We charge $5.00 per pen to scan and engrave the signature.

Nancy

D&N Specialties
Rio Rancho, NM
dandnspecialties@msn.com

Are you looking for a manual pantograph like the Hermes IM3 Gravograph?

http://www.gravograph.com/usa/Engraving%20Machines/IM3.php

Or do you want something digital like the Xenetech Viper GE

http://www.xenetech.com/viperge_overview.asp

or you could go small digital like this one, MPX-70 Metaza Impact Printer.

"The desktop device uses an advanced carbide-tipped stylus to strike metal surfaces with high speed and precision. It removes no material and operates quietly, making it ideal for jewelry stores, mall kiosks and photography studios."

We have one of these at the shop. I'll take a cartridge up tomorrow and see if we can make her shoot so to speak. Only problem is making a jig to hold the casing.

http://www.rolanddga.com/asd/products/ImpactPrinters/MPX70/default.asp?menu=SPECIFICATIONS&nxt=3

I meant to mention that I took some .308 dummies to the shop with me and asked the Trophyman about engraving them...

he simply said "Sure, I could do them on the Xenetech, the manual pantagraph, or the Metaza(if I made a jig to hold it)." Then tossed the casings back at me and walked away. I suppose he didn't want the exersize.

The Metaza would be my choice as it is highly portable(the size of a toaster) and connects to a computer by USB, and has very good software. You can import photos directly into the software for manipulation from your camera if it is Twain compliant(most are nowadays). You are limited to the size of things to engrave with it and you have to make some specialized jigs, but there are always trade-offs.

It costs about $1200.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom