Engraving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

I don't know if this is the right forum for this but:
I am having trouble finding an engraver that consistently does accurate work. I have had 10 or more pens ruined in the past 3 months:mad: and I need a new engraver! I have been looking for an engraver that does laser engraving that is relatively convenient to get to - Novi-Brighton Area of Michigan. Any recommendations?

Is laser engraving the only way, best way or is there another way?

Thanks for any help and/insights!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

Was the problem with the logo , text, or both?

Was it placement or engraving quality?

Both, both
Problem is inconsistency. One time did well, next time ruined a Historic Wood (George Washington) blank. But the good news is he said he wouldn't charge me the engraving cost on the GW blank! Logos misplaced, to light, too deep, names too light etc etc

hanau

what about decals?
You can control the quality of them. if you mess up you can remove them and start over.

photobucket-18396-1352679719536.jpg
[/QUOTE]

keithbyrd

I use Kallenshaan Engraving. He is in Las Vegas, but his turn around time is really fast. I sent him an order with 40+ pens on a Monday and had it back by the Friday and his work is premium. He is the same person that began making Lazer pen kits. I highly recommend him and his prices are very reasonable.
www.kallenshaanwoods.com

I have had some other work done by Kallenshaan but only ordering from him. That is really fast turn around. Did you overnight them?

OKLAHOMAN

Tell Ken I sent you and he will only up charge 50% more....just kidding he is my # one source when I need custom work and his turn around is less than if I drove to town and left it there to be engraved .

SteveinGB

I have a couple of customers that could help, but 1 is in the Grand Rapids area and

the other 2 are in White Pigeon or Hudson if this would help I would refer to you.

The 3 keys in your pursuit of quality is meeting a laser engraver that maintains their equipment (tougher then it would seem)

as the smaller text apporpriate for the pen is heavy dependant on beam quality (small focus).

You also need to hold the pen absolutely still. (vibration is the Devils handy work)

There is an easy way to do this by simply placing in a clump of clay (wrapped in cellophane to protect the pen)

but there are too many systems that can't target off of this variable properly.

and the third is to laser vector files which can be prohibitive

for smaller orders as if you don't supply the vector artwork, it first takes an engraver capable of creating vector art

and then willing to do so withouit much of a set-up charge as this now drives your per pen cost to a point where

it makes less sense from a small run order view. JPG's and better BMP's are commonly used, but they

are typically weak artwork (particularly when re-sized to a pen size) Most artwork being of the Biz Card and

cocktail napkin level of quality. Hope this helps

Top Bottom