English Walnut

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I spent most of the day cutting down a dead English walnut that has been growing in my 90 year old mother's back yard for about 50 years. Its been dead for over a year. (I'll be glad to get back to work next week so I can quit doing good deeds and repair projects) I brought home a good pick-up load of wood. There are two more loads to haul away tomorrow, also there are 5-6 loads of small limbs to haul away.

I've seen the wood listed for sale in various places so somebody is turning it. There is a lot of crotch wood, some interesting spalting like lines, and generally a lot of character. I'll definitely make blanks out of some of it, but is English walnut good enough and rare enough to save it all? Three big pick-up loads, that is probably well over a ton of wood.

The tree was just over 30 inches at the stump. The main trunk was only about four feet fall and then it split into four major limbs. It was a beautiful tree when it was alive, like a 50 foot tall shrub, it must have shaded half an acre. It never did have many walnuts and when it did they were pretty much tasteless.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

No, english walnut is no good at all. Just ship it all to me and I'll take care of getting rid of it for you. :D;)[}:)]

Seriously, it is very desireable and if you're going to offer it for sale/trade I'd be interested in a bowl blank or two from the crotch wood.

great12b4ever

Yes English Walnut is a good wood for turning, everything from bowl to vases and pens. If you have the space and room, I would try to get a lot of it, especially the stump, root ball, and crotch areas, in addition to the larger limb sections. If you get tired of it you can alwasy offer it up for sale or for trade. You would be surprised at what you can get, especially in bowl blanks and such.

Rob

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
Gerry:

I think you got your answer. You can definitely make your good deeds pay for it self:D Grab all you can and sell it here[8D]

I'm interested in bowl blanks.

Chasper

It looks like I'm going to have a lot of EW for a long time to come. I remember my dad planting this tree when I was young, it wouldn't be so bad to have it around for a lot longer. I did have plans to leave a nice stump out in the yard, it looks like I'll be digging out the root ball as well. My back aches just thinking about that.

Hello

English Walnut has been my best seller for pens. I give it a matte finish and put it on satin gold kits and people snatch them like they're the cure for cancer or something! I'd buy some (ahem.....a BUNCH) from you!

DanD23

If it is to help out a fellow board member, I could take some bowl blanks and a few pieces for pen blanks off your hands :D

Jarheaded

You're too far for me to tow a backhoe to or I would gladly dig out the rootball and stump in exchange for some of the wood. So let me know when you are selling it and I will purchase a box full of it, wet or dry(preferably wet).
have a great new year,
Johnnie

Chasper

Three trips to the landfill with a full truck load and loaded trailer. Two truck loads and a trailer with the big pieces, and the bottom of the stump and root ball are still in the ground..... When I find out that this stuff is worthless I'm going to remember who has been telling me how good it is. I'm way too old to spend a couple days with shovel and axe to manhandle that root ball out of the ground. Maybe I'll get a backhole in there, but I'm already up to my a** in wood.

As heavy as it is, I can't believe it is entirely dry, even though it appeared to die and lost its leave early in the summer of 2006, then never leafed out at all in 2007.

I'm putting a coat of lacquer on the cut ends to slow down the drying and hopefully reduce checking. I've used basic white Elmers to coat ends with success before, but I don't happen to have a couple gallons of white glue handy at the moment. Anyboy have any easier and surer methods to dry it slowly? I'm going to have to store it outside, should I cover it with a tarp?

THarvey

Gerry,

If you are finished with your gloat, will you please share the wealth with you friends?

How about a few pictures and some bowl/pen blanks.

Chasper

You wanted to see a picture of my big crotch?

200811222233_big%20crotch.jpg

First pick up load

200811222348_first%20load.jpg

Second load

200811222450_truck%20load.jpg

Chasper

Two things I learned in the process of gathering this wood.
1. You CAN cut off a 25 inch stump with a chain saw that has a 12 inch cutting bar.
2. It will take a long, long time

20081122292_25%20inches.jpg

IPD_Mrs

Originally posted by Chasper

You wanted to see a picture of my big crotch?

Man what an opening and without MR. MLK here to control me .. what to do what to say ... [}:)]

Nice Crotch [:0]

LOL

200811222233_big%20crotch.jpg

First pick up load

200811222348_first%20load.jpg

Second load

200811222450_truck%20load.jpg

Top Bottom