English or Irish Yew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

Are you looking for yew from England/Ireland? There is a species of yew that is called english yew and is grown all over the place. If you want some english yew that was grown in MD, USA, PM me. I've got a bunch I cut up recently.

Rmartin

From my website:

Sacred Tree of Death and Rebirth

Yew spans the northern temperate zones of Asia, India, Europe, Noth Africa, and North America. It also spans time itself. Foscils have been found which date to tens of millions of years ago. Some English Yews growing today have been estimated to be 4,000 years old.
Ancient Yew is found in museums throughout Europe in the form of spears, staves, and the famous longbow of the middle ages. The tight grain of the long lived tree gives Yew it's strenght, while the sapwood has the elastisity needed for a fine bow. Arrows were often tipped with a poison derived from the tree. In J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit", the Eagle King complains the men of the Wilderland are using bows made from Yews.
Yes, the tree is poisonous, but today, research has revealed the chemical Taxol found in Yew inhibits cell growth and may have promise in the fight against cancer. Perhaps this tree's death and rebirth folklore of our ancestors isn't that far off the mark.

I am pleased to present for sale Yew wood in a handturned medium sized Streamline pen in the most durable plating available; 24K Gold Titanium. It will literally last a lifetime. This pen is safe to handle on a daily basis having been sealed and cured in eight coats laquer, but should you have a habit of chewing on your pens and pencils, this pen is probably not for you. That is, unless you want to follow in the ancient Celtic tradition of taking poision derived from Yew rather than surrender to an invading army.

CSU has Yew for 4.99 in packs of 10. That's 50 cents a blank.

Rmartin
I cut corners

Russianwolf

my preference is for yew sourced from Ireland, as that is a selling point with people of Irish heritage (including my family). But I've been having problems finding irish lumber dealers that will ship to the states.

I've got a handle on some very nice looking English Yew, but I'm trying to decide if $70 for about 50 blanks is a good deal. I would be able to pass some on to you guys here though as I don't need that many.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Originally posted by Rmartin
<br />Done.

Thanks Will, don't know how that one missed the spell checker.

Rmartin
I cut corners

This isn't meant to be critical, but if you found ONE, your spell checker missed at least 4.

I found 5 on my cursory read.

If you meant instead that the one passage was overlooked, kindly ignore this post!![:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

Rmartin

No offense taken. I'm a terrible speller, but a very good writer. By "one", I meant the whole package. I have a brief description of each of the woods available on my site.

Rmartin
I cut corners

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom