enduro or other uv inhibitor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fafow

Does anyone know where I can buy some Enduro? I want to try it and see if I like it or not (both the sanding sealer and the gloss finish). I don't want to buy a gallon of the stuff. I have only found one website so far that sells it and they are out of stock.

Besides CA, is there anything else I can use to help fight the effects of UV? I know nothing will fight it forever, but I would like to put off the effects on some of the woods for as long as I can.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by fafow

Does anyone know where I can buy some Enduro? I want to try it and see if I like it or not (both the sanding sealer and the gloss finish). I don't want to buy a gallon of the stuff. I have only found one website so far that sells it and they are out of stock.

Besides CA, is there anything else I can use to help fight the effects of UV? I know nothing will fight it forever, but I would like to put off the effects on some of the woods for as long as I can.

Your notion that CA is a UV inhibitor is a new one on me. I don't believe that is correct. CA is just and only that unless it is labeled something else.
But, you are right. Even a product containing UV inhibitors is not permanent. Your best bet might be a high quality spar varnish as is used on expensive wood boats. It is not quite a forever finish but does contain UV inhibitors.

GBusardo

Originally posted by Rifleman1776

Your notion that CA is a UV inhibitor is a new one on me. I don't believe that is correct. CA is just and only that unless it is labeled something else.
But, you are right. Even a product containing UV inhibitors is not permanent. Your best bet might be a high quality spar varnish as is used on expensive wood boats. It is not quite a forever finish but does contain UV inhibitors.

I agree. Even a good spar varnish finish would be lucky to last a couple of years in the sun. Enduro is a clear finish, all clear finishes, regardless of their claims, do not do a very good job against the sun. Are you concerned about UV and pens? You probably shouldn't be. No pen should be left out in the sun, let alone the wooden ones we make here.

fafow

Thanks for the replies everyone. Bear Tooth is where I found the Enduro. I wanted to buy the small combo kit of the wood sealer and poly finish, but they have been out of that for a while. Guess I'll just have to wait until they have more in stock. I have been using tung oil lately and have really liked how it comes out. I am not sure just how it will hold up long term, but have been told it does really well with other wood projects. I've been using the Minwax tung oil (we had a small can lying around the shop from a couple years back) which is not pure tung oil, but also is no longer available in California due to EPA regulations. I'll probably have to go to mixing my own tung oil concoction. I read a post by Russ Fairfield recently where he said that Enduro was the strongest (or most durable?) finish and was also a UV inhibitor. My concern with the UV is probably way overblown, but I have used a few UV sensitive woods and would like them to retain the color they have when I am done for as long as possible.

Does Enduro yellow with time? I love working with wood (will make acrylic pens only if I have to) and much much prefer to enhance the natural color and beauty of the wood. I stay away from dyes and really do not want to use a finish that will yellow once it is in the wood, or yellow with time.

Frank, I thought I had read somewhere that CA was a UV inhibitor but that must be just my faulty memory.

KenV

General Finishes bought out the California firm that made Enduro about a year ago. Supposedly the same formulation, but water based finishes is a place where new and different products are the rule rather than the exception.

Spar varnishes are made to be soft and flexible - exterior wood tends to move a lot. They are not designed to be durable on things like pens, and need to be refreshed about every year. Recommendations are to use a spar varnish over the epoxy coatings (System 3) that I use for UV protection on the boat. Better to put the pen in a pocket than try to protect it from all things possible. Besides, CA finish fails at about boiling point of water, so keep them out of the sun and heat anyway.

dbriski

I saw the Gallons at my lumber suppliers this weekend and was thinking about using it for some flat work. I am completly uninformed on it. Can someone direct me to more info on the product.
Thanks,

GBusardo

Sorry David, I have no first hand experience doing flatwork with Enduro. I would imagine it goes on like any water based poly. I did a see a review ont he web once, it actaully did not get the greatest reviews. For pens however, its pretty darn good

Top Bottom