End grain on blank side

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chris Bar

Have several blanks of flame box elder that appear to be cut across grain so that two sides are end grain, as though the end of a board was cross-cut to make a blank.
This is the only time I have noticed blanks cut this way and question if the blank can be turned to obtain a smooth surface. These were obtained via mail so look-see before was not possible.
Question is, how successful can one be using crosscut lumber for pen blanks? Perhaps this is common, but nonetheless, new to me.
Will need very sharp tools, or perhaps a scraper?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

okiebugg

cross cut

Have several blanks of flame box elder that appear to be cut across grain so that two sides are end grain, as though the end of a board was cross-cut to make a blank.
This is the only time I have noticed blanks cut this way and question if the blank can be turned to obtain a smooth surface. These were obtained via mail so look-see before was not possible.
Question is, how successful can one be using crosscut lumber for pen blanks? Perhaps this is common, but nonetheless, new to me.
Will need very sharp tools, or perhaps a scraper?

Almost everything I turn is cross grain. Many turners don't like it because a lot of blanks blow up me included. You IMO need to become proficient at straight grain and then start on turning scrap wood cross grain.

Turning CC is no harder than straight grain except you must concentrate. The key to the whole effort is pressure on the blank. If I have a pretty dry CC blank, I'll soak it in CA. Just dribble thin CA over the blank until you see no dry spots. Sharp tools. Very light pressure. The real problem is the corners. The corners will blow up......so........you start your cut at a corner and go down yhe blank until just before the other corner. Remove your tool and start at that corner. You need to keep the ends of the blanks soaked with super glue. I almost never use a skew to turn softer woods...you end up with too much pressure on the blank

Chris Bar

Not sure what CC is, but nonetheless, I appreciate the suggestions and will do. Box elder w/wo color, is one of my favorites and hope to do well by it. Not a novice to turning pens but will ask before destroying one or two of a kind.

GColeman

Chris,
CC is Cross Cut. Basically cutting a blank with the end grain running the length of the blank. My experience is that liberal application of thin CA helps immensely. Sharp tool are of course a must.

Top Bottom