End to end gluing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasboy1

Hi folks, I was wondering if it's possible to glue smaller blanks end to end, to create a horizontal stripe effect?
If properly prepared, with enough CA Thick available, can a few blanks be drilled for the same size tube, then be glued onto the tube end to end?
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Yes, of course ! . In my opinion, it is best to drill first, then cut into the lengths that you want, then assemble onto the brass tube, gluing each newly added piece to the previous assembly. . This will give you the horizontal stripe effect that you want. . You can make all of the pieces the same length so that the stripe widths are all equal, or you can vary the lengths to achieve variety or whatever effect you want.

Of course, you should calculate ahead of time what widths you want. . Also, you have to allow for the kerf width of your saw blade in order to get all pieces to the length you want. . You can, of course, choose to randomize the lengths and/or just slap things together and take what you get.

Be aware, also, that gluing end grain to end grain can form a fairly weak joint. . So do a bit of planning and use the brass tube to strengthen and keep the assembly together during the assembly/gluing process. , You don't have to glue end grain to end grain ... you can do anything you like and get a rather creative effect. . There are no set rules.

Last edited:

sbwertz

One interesting way to do this is to take six different spectraply blanks and glue them together into a 5x5 block. Then cut them on a 45 degree angle to make diagonally striped blanks. They produce "rainbow" pens when turned. The short ones from the corners can be further glued together to make even wilder combinations.

You can also do this with various widths of contrasting woods, then cut them on the diagonal to make segmented pens.

Last edited:

Pjohnson

Unless I am misunderstanding the setup, you absolutely can glue end grains - with CA. Check out the segmenting forum. There are some stunning end examples.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Unless I am misunderstanding the setup, you absolutely can glue end grains - with CA. Check out the segmenting forum. There are some stunning end examples.

I agree with what you said, but when I started doing multiples, I moved to 10-15 minute epoxy when I could find it, or even 30 minute epoxy to have more open time. When gluing segments together end to end, sometimes it helps to be able to re-align grain on occasions.

jttheclockman

If using wood I use Titebond II and if using anything else it is always epoxy. End to end grain is the weakest joint you can make but what will give it some strength will be the addition of a tube. But with all segmenting work much care is needed when turning and there are hundreds of threads on this in the segmenting forum. Good luck. :):)

sbwertz

Rainbow blank and rainbow pen. Gwen was able to get in today to turn again because of a cancellation, and she made this rainbow pen. She had a little chipout right at the centerband...a problem with turning spectraply crossgrain.

1_rainbow_pen_blank.jpg

1_rainbow_pen.jpg

Last edited:

Chasboy1

Thank you Sharon. I saw spectraply in person for the first time at Woodcraft. I forgot to buy a piece!! I also didn't examine it closely. Is it laminated dyed wood?

Top Bottom