End Cracks PR

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RDH79

I need some help. Yesterday I sent around 3 hrs turning this blank to find out when I got the cap that there were 2 cracks in the end. This had to come fromthe exiting of the drill bit.
It wasnt guit down to size so I thought i could scratch the cracks a little deeper and apply so thick Ca. So I done that and it did cover them up But I had to turn it down tosze and I must not have made the crack deep enough. So now that is down to size I think I will turn about A 1/4 of an in down to the tube. I wish I could find the cutoff from this blank but It is long gone. I am almost sure I got it from Exotics. I am thinking the name was Golden Dawn
Ed or Dawn is that what it is?
I posted a picture. Not a very good one. It needs buffed again and some renwax.but looking at it does anyone have any suggestions what to segment the end with. Wood, Acrylic ,Lite color, dark color? I dont really know.
I lhave learned one thing is to cut the blanks as long as possible. Thanks

Attachments

• 101_0015.jpg
    101_0015.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fiferb

The best way to prevent the end from cracking during drilling is to not drill all the way through. Leave a portion on the end, drill deep enough for the tube but not all the way through, then cut it off with the saw. Another option is to put a piece of wood under it to support the material as you're drilling through.

PenMan1

Amboyna

I think amboyna burl would look nice on the ends. Of course, it may be that I think Amboyna looks good on everything, bacause it is so expensive I tend to try to use every sliver!

RDH79

yea Amboyna is one of my favorites. I was also looking at a Cut-off of Hondurous Rosewood I have. I did this before to a Gent but the two woods that I picked didnt look too good together.

mrcook4570

While I agree that amboyna and HRB are very nice looking materials, they are too similar in color to the PR. I would use something plain that provides a lot of contrast such as white or black. Also consider adding a thin sliver of either brass or aluminum to separate the two colors. Also, put the bands on both ends of the pen, otherwise it will look mismatched and out of place rather than intentional.

RDH79

Hi Stan Thanks for those ideas. By the way the Jet I got from you is working like a dream. I have only tried 1 bowl so far Had it grab and flew off. But I have been turning alot of pens on it. Head and tail stock line up perfect. Going to try another bowl one of these days. Rich H

Top Bottom