End cap on Baron

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dale Allen

I tapped out this black insert on a less expensive Jr Gent.
Does anyone know for sure if the Baron would tap out the same way?
I'm thinking of replacing it with some wood from the same blank but I'd like to know it will come out
Maybe I'll try to make one to replace this one first and see how it goes.
Thanks.

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Leave it, take it off and don't use it, or replace it. Some have turned a similar ring using the same material as used for the pen barrels. Replacing the black finial and the ring makes these kits a little more special.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Thanks red.
And do you leave the black band on the center section or substitute something else?

azamiryou

I've replaced the end buttons on quite a few. I just drill out the stock one, it's pretty easy. I turn the "button" with a small stem on the back to fit in the hole in the finial cap, then secure it with glue. Measure the button for each pen - I've found huge variation even within the same model of pen.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Make a flat piece of wood and drill a hole in the center for the plug. Two sided tape to hold the piece in place. Not a bad idea to make a couple grooves in the flat piece of wood, where you can insert a small chisel to pry the piece off the tape when completed!!

azamiryou

Matt, what kind of chuck do you use to turn a small button like that?

Usually, the same one I use for drilling on the lathe - either a collet (round blank) or pen jaws on a scroll chuck (for square blank). I make the button first, while there's still plenty of blank to hold onto. Then I part off the button and make the pen with the rest of the blank.

If I'm using wood with a pronounced grain pattern, I may prefer to turn the button "sideways" to show side grain instead of end grain. In this case, I'll usually cut the blank for the pen first. Then I'll take the cutoff end that I want to use for the button and choose the grain I want to show. I mount it in a 4-jaw independent chuck in my metal lathe with that face towards the chuck. With the "back" facing out, I cut a tenon that will fit in a collet chuck on the wood lathe. (I use the metal lathe for this for two reasons: first, to keep my hands away from the spinning chuck jaws, and second because that's the lathe I have a 4-jaw independent chuck for.)

Then it's just a matter of putting it in the collet on the wood lathe and finishing it.

If the available blank piece were too small to do even this with, I would put a flat spot on it and use double-stick tape to mount it, but that has not happened yet.

Dale Allen

The one on the baron has no inset like the less expensive kits.
So, it gives you a bit more room to vary the shape.
It tapped out easy enough and this one will look good on the baron I am ready to assemble.

Attachments

• cap2.jpg
    cap2.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 80
Top Bottom