enamel durability

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JP61

I had a customer ask if i could repair his black enamel bolt-action's lever that became loose after it was dropped. I'm assuming all it needs is to realign the lever and tighten the screw. As I was looking at the pen, I noticed and was surprised to see the enamel, immediately above the crease where the pen would normally be held to write with, worn down to the metal. The rest of the enamel is fine. He didn't complain about it, only after I made the comment that it doesn't look like it's holding up too well, said " I use it every day". He's only had this pen for about 2.5 months, so I gave him a new pen.

Is there a enamel durability issue with these pens from normal everyday use?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JP61

This is the area of the pen I was trying to describe...

Attachments

• 2013-12-09_13-03-32_32.jpg
    2013-12-09_13-03-32_32.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 377

Russianwolf

The enamel that they use is enamel paint (similar to the car industry). Any ridge that is painted will be thinner than the flat areas (bodyshops never sand a ridge, they will sand up to the ridge, but never on it. You will sand through the paint in no time).

This is why that spot is worn faster than the rest. BUT, The enamel will wear away eventually regardless. I have a friend with a Irish Bog Oak Cigar that I made about 5 years ago. The Bog Oak looks great (friction polish finish), The hardware...... The Platinum plating has held up well, and the parts that were Enamel are now a lovely brass finish. He's happy so that's all that matters.

JP61

The enamel that they use is enamel paint (similar to the car industry). Any ridge that is painted will be thinner than the flat areas (bodyshops never sand a ridge, they will sand up to the ridge, but never on it. You will sand through the paint in no time).

This is why that spot is worn faster than the rest. BUT, The enamel will wear away eventually regardless. I have a friend with a Irish Bog Oak Cigar that I made about 5 years ago. The Bog Oak looks great (friction polish finish), The hardware...... The Platinum plating has held up well, and the parts that were Enamel are now a lovely brass finish. He's happy so that's all that matters.

Maybe the man has dry/rough skin on his fingers?

I realized when I purchased these kits that the enamel paint would wear off eventually from use, but didn't think it would happen this fast.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Maybe the man has dry/rough skin on his fingers?

I realized when I purchased these kits that the enamel paint would wear off eventually from use, but didn't think it would happen this fast.
Black Enamel has a wear factor similar to 24K gold. It will wear about as fast as any plating.

JP61

Black Enamel has a wear factor similar to 24K gold. It will wear about as fast as any plating.

I'm still fairly new at working with pen kits, so I'm not sure how they rank as far as platting or paint durability. I would hope there's a significant difference between a kit plated with 24K gold and one with titanium or rhodium.

As far as this black enamel bolt-action's paint goes or any kit really, 2-2.5 months of use resulting with the paint worn down to the metal is totally unacceptable to me if this is normal or the average.

I wouldn't give a pen like this as a gift to someone let alone sell them one.

Is there a chart or ranking of some kind that one could use to determine paint/platting durability with these kits on the market?

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Wear

Generally speaking 24K gold is the poorest wearing plating and they go up from there.

Pen Kit Plating Options Guide | eBay

That is a fair chart but keep it relative...don't expect to notice a big difference between chrome and rhodium, you'll likely never see it at all. There are also a couple of inaccuracies from what I've seen in some more authoritive palces, but they're kind of minor.

Platings have been the subject of a lot of discussions here and there are a lot of opinions. Personally I don't think Rhodium and/or Platinum are worth the difference in price over chrome others do. If you want actual black color - black chrome is the way to go. Black Titanium is not black...it can be made to be black but it is difficut to plate they have a lot of scrap so few platers use it. Gold Titanium is great but sputtering 24K gold on it is a waste it wears off very fast. Rhodium and Platinum (if you use them) are equals - there is no real advantage of one over the other. Many seller's "Platinum" platings are neither platinum or rhodium, they are often an alloy containing paladium one supplier's formula is actually a very nice looking White Gold that will not really yellow as much as most white gold.

The point is: Don't get all wrapped around the axle over whether one manufacturer has the "best" plating over others - they probably say they do, but more likely they don't.

Last edited:

JP61

I hear ya Smitty.

I'm just trying to avoid selling junk to people. If any type of plating from whomever wears off in such short order, then that's exactly what I would be doing, selling junk (to put it nicely) to people and I want no part of that for a number of reasons.

Anyhow, thanks to those who took the time to respond. I know what direction I'll be going with this in the future, if there is one.

ChrisN

FWIW, I decided early on that I would stick to the most durable platings: Rhodium/Platinum, Ti Gold, and Black Ti. If those aren't available: Chrome. I make a few exceptions, but very few - Bolt Actions are the only one for now.

JP61

Thanks Chris!

I'll be doing the same in the future. I have enough stuff to worry about...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I would advise - don't take Chrome and Black Chrome out of you're bag, The difference between how they wear vs how the higher priced Titaniums and platinums wear is really not going to be noticed....they won't wear out in a few months of normal use and they can cost a lot less, while looking just about as good.

Tim'sTurnings

I noticed on my wife's carry pen, Sierra (or clone) that the black paint on the writing end looks terrible, chips and wear places. Although she does carry it loose in her purse it looks bad. I don't know if I want to do any more pens that are painted.
Tim.

Solid Brass just like the real thing +

Solid brass in the same grade as the real thing, the rifle cartridge the pen is meant to imitate would solve the problem for most of those for whom I make pens. The everyday working guy, the man who target shoots, reloads and hunts. The finish on the pens looks like a million dollars if you don't use them hard.

+ Some of us, our hands sweat profusely. I worked with chemicals, tools, machinery and other things. Always had something nasty on my hands, unless I just washed them. Other individuals body chemistry affects the finish.

Charlie

JP61

Thanks people for your posts!

Was the rub mark aligned with the clip (or 180°) from it, if so that would indicate to me that its from pocket wear.

Looking at the clip head-on, it's 270° in a clockwise direction. It is located where I would normally have my thumb. I wish it wasn't there, because I really love this design.

Quality Pen

I was just about to purchase a black enamel bolt... but I was skeptical when I read "black enamel"

Much like JP61, I don't want to put something like this out there. Pens wearing down within 3 months is almost scary!:frown:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Finishes have their place...Think about this. A person who regularily uses a rifle, will be well aware that rifles show wear in some places long before they do in others. No matter how good the finish. Hence is not likely to be surprised or necessarily put off by his pen showing wear.

Quality Pen

That's an interesting way of looking at it.

Do people that pay 75, 100, 200$ think that way though?

I'm legitimately posing that question... I don't know what they think on average.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
That's an interesting way of looking at it.

Do people that pay 75, 100, 200$ think that way though?

I'm legitimately posing that question... I don't know what they think on average.
You aren't going to sell the pens you mentioned in that price range Iyou might sell a few for $75 but I don't think much more than that....and you'll sell most of them to people who have at least some appreciation of shooting and shooting sports.

Top Bottom