Emperor presentation case

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am STILL in the process of turning two high end emperors for a doctor. He is paying $1300 for the two pens, but I just realized that I do not have any sort of box/case to give these pens to him in.

What would be a good suggestion? The wood is Nepalese (sp?) Sandalwood (he requested Indian Sandalwood - this is the closest I could get) and I made the mistake of cutting the small peice into all blanks - so do not have enough to make a box out of. I really think the best bet may be to just use small velvet-type drawstring bags. To me, this will protect the pens (which he does plan on using) and be somewhat elegant when he receives them. I know this is a very cheap technique, but I feel that it is a nice way to give these to him.

This doctor (for those who have missed my previous posts) is a surgeon who collects fountain pens but could not find any out of sandalwood. When he found out I made pens he requested one. This has been a VERY long process, but is nearing completion.

Thanks all!
Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

Bill, for 1,300.00 I do not think a velvet draw string bag will cut it. I would recomend a nice leather case, but you did say he is not going to use it. So I would buy one of those nice boxes from BB with the window. I think that would come across really nice.

BryanJon

Draw string bag would NOT be a good choice.[:(]
I agree with Anthony, a nice box from BB .........AND include a leather case to carry the pens in since you stated he does plan on using them.

DWK5150

What insert would you use to fit the Emperor in the case?? Do they fit in the ones for the gentelmans/statesman pen???

Originally posted by DWK5150
<br />What insert would you use to fit the Emperor in the case?? Do they fit in the ones for the gentelmans/statesman pen???

^^ Yeah...that was my concern.

I can get a pretty good deal on leather pen cases from a lady who owns a jewelry store that sells my pens, I'll hit her up this afternoon.

I wasn't sure if the bags would be cheesey or not - I have never used them. Just thought it might be good for him to throw them in for storage. I'll look into the other ideas.

Thanks all!!
Bill

angboy

If I'm remembering right, I'm pretty sure that Fritz told me that WT had somebody who was making some nice wooden pen boxes for them that were made of multiple woods, which sounded very nice. Hopefully I wasn't totally hallucinating and making this up, but you might want to ask- maybe they'd have a nice box made out of some kind of similar wood that would coordinate with the pens.

Mikey

has anyone used the large wooden boxes from CSUSA that they advertise fits their larger pens?

Anyway, If I had a large wooden box for the pen, I would still present it in the velvet drawstring bag just to keep it protected. If the doctor wants to toss the bag, then let him. For a $1,300 sale I would triple box it if I had to.

fuzzydog

Bill,
Mikey makes a good point. For the money I would custom make the box and take pride in the fact your created both the pen and the box.

I think that for a special customer, special attention is warranted.

wayneis

Bill Craft Supply has a new box for the Emperor, the green incerts for BB's boxs will not fit the Emperor. BB does have the nicest leather cases that I have seen though. His black Leather cases are a very good quality and I would highly recommend them.

Wayne

JimGo

I don't know that I'd make a custom box, but something like the Presentation Box that this place sells (http://www.home-museum.com/Products/2.1-Flat/Prod-Flat.htm#Treasure%20Boxes ) would be nice. Then I'd just worry about the custom insert. For that, I'd probably use some foam from a craft store and get some flocking and/or felt and make something that fits as close to perfect as I can.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=050-0056

I JUST saw this box! I think this will be the route I'll go. I didn't know anyone made a box for the emperor, yet. Then I may include the bags, too. I will probably do one of each box (one box for each pen).

I really appriciate everyone's help. I have only been turning pens since last Feb - this is (of course) my biggest sale.

Thanks again everyone!
Bill

Ryan

My suggestion is to NOT make a BOX. I think boxes are great but with someone like this who is willing to pay good money for your work, make him a STAND for them. If you do this they will be put on his desk and everyone will be able to see them. Show them off for him I guess is what I am saying. Fanger had an excellent example of this a few weeks ago. I also have a pretty good stand I made for a Doctor that holds 2 pens horizontally that would be a nice touch. If you do not have anymore sandalwood get some more or use a contrasting color so the pens stand out. If you put the pen in a box none of his friends will see them and you will miss and opportunity to make some more $$$.

If you give him a $650.00 pen in a $1.00 velvet bag he will probably put the pen in his desk drawer, which could be murder on your finish and then he will want to know why the finish did not hold up.

Nice sale by the way.

Ryan

bobkeyes

Dear Bill,

I am using BB presentation cases for my Emperor's. There is a picture at this link, http://www.ciwriting.com/Emperor2.htm , if you'd like to see what they look like with the pen.

Quite a sale. Congratulations!!

Bob Keyes
www.ciwriting.com

Originally posted by BillATsetelDOTcom
<br />I am STILL in the process of turning two high end emperors for a doctor. He is paying $1300 for the two pens, but I just realized that I do not have any sort of box/case to give these pens to him in.

What would be a good suggestion? The wood is Nepalese (sp?) Sandalwood (he requested Indian Sandalwood - this is the closest I could get) and I made the mistake of cutting the small peice into all blanks - so do not have enough to make a box out of. I really think the best bet may be to just use small velvet-type drawstring bags. To me, this will protect the pens (which he does plan on using) and be somewhat elegant when he receives them. I know this is a very cheap technique, but I feel that it is a nice way to give these to him.

This doctor (for those who have missed my previous posts) is a surgeon who collects fountain pens but could not find any out of sandalwood. When he found out I made pens he requested one. This has been a VERY long process, but is nearing completion.

Thanks all!
Bill

DWK5150

Originally posted by bobkeyes
<br />Dear Bill,

I am using BB presentation cases for my Emperor's. There is a picture at this link, http://www.ciwriting.com/Emperor2.htm , if you'd like to see what they look like with the pen.

Bob Keyes
www.ciwriting.com

What insert are you using for that box??

Spike

Originally posted by Ryan
<br />My suggestion is to NOT make a BOX. I think boxes are great but with someone like this who is willing to pay good money for your work, make him a STAND for them. If you do this they will be put on his desk and everyone will be able to see them. Show them off for him I guess is what I am saying. Fanger had an excellent example of this a few weeks ago. I also have a pretty good stand I made for a Doctor that holds 2 pens horizontally that would be a nice touch. If you do not have anymore sandalwood get some more or use a contrasting color so the pens stand out. If you put the pen in a box none of his friends will see them and you will miss and opportunity to make some more $$$.

If you give him a $650.00 pen in a $1.00 velvet bag he will probably put the pen in his desk drawer, which could be murder on your finish and then he will want to know why the finish did not hold up.

Nice sale by the way.

Ryan
I agree that a horzional stand would be perfect. $$$

I agree 100% with Ryan, give him something to show off your pens and just maybe it will lead to future sales. Anybody can put a pen in a box, not many will use a holder. If you can't match the wood, perhaps something unique would work like a beautiful piece of manzanita root all cleaned and polished with pen holders attached.

Originally posted by BillATsetelDOTcom
<br />I am STILL in the process of turning two high end emperors for a doctor. He is paying $1300 for the two pens, but I just realized that I do not have any sort of box/case to give these pens to him in.

Congrats on the BIG sale!!

I can't wait to see a $650 pen!

I will if I EVER get it done.

How would I turn a vertical pen holder? (i.e. the turned by someone here holing a gent's pen). Would that be a recommended way to present to the doc? or should I stick with a horizontal display?

Thanks again!
Bill

bobkeyes

It's the one for the Gent. Fits nice.

Bob Keyes

Originally posted by DWK5150
<br />
Originally posted by bobkeyes
<br />Dear Bill,

Bob Keyes
www.ciwriting.com

What insert are you using for that box??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom