Emperor Fountain Pen Nibs in all Iridium?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

JimGo

I have a friend who has requested a black Ti Emperor pen for his father's birthday. Does anyone know whether it's possible to get an all-iridium (i.e. "silver") nib for the Emperor, and the associated cost? Given the muted colors of this particular kit, he felt that the gold on the nib seems a little out of place.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Jim,
Iridium is the little ball of stuff on the tip end of a nib that keeps it from wearing away, very hard.
What you are looking for is a nib that is chrome or platnium plated or some other silver color plating, perhaps polished stainless steel.

vick

Hate to burst you bubble Jim but modern fountain pen nibs have no irridium in them even though it says it on the nib. Also the "irridium" is a very hard metal that is just used on the tip. The two little bumps on the end is made of a very hard metal so that the abrasiveness of the paper does not wear the nib out. The silver metal is usually steel.

vick

I need to learn to type faster[:p]

by the way link to artice that talks about irridium in modern pen nibs
http://home.att.net/~gailrhea/Pens/fpmyths.html

I know it is kind of off you topic but I though some might be interested.

Talk to Niles to get the staight answer on the nib.

If the nib is interchangeable with the getnlemans/statesman it looks like the rodium version comes with all "silver" nibs. I do not have the kits to test this though. Anthony or Niles could possibly answer it they are interchangeable. Anthony also might have spare nibs he could sell you since he uses his gold ones so often.

btboone

Jim, I don't think you want to pay for all Iridium either. It puts platinum to shame. $$$$[:0]

Edit> Oops, I was thinking of Rhodium at $3580 per ounce. Iridium is only in the $200/ ounce range.

PenWorks

Jim, I am assuming you want an all silver plated nib vs the two tone nib.
If this is right. You can unscrew the nib out of a statesmen and replace the Emperor nib with this. If you don't have an all silver nib, let me know, I can send you a freebie. Have a bunch.

Johnathan

Jim, all of the Emperor kits come with the two-tone nib. The Statesman and Gentlemans nibs are the same (size b) but without the yellow gold. I like to put the two-tone on the Rhodium Stateman because it has the gold accents and then use the Rhodium nib on the Blank T. Emperor to keep with mono-tone style. Hope this helps. [;)]

Ryan

Jim,

I have an all silver nib I would trade you for the two tone. Drop me an email if you are interested.

Thanks,
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom