Embossing Powder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffj13

I have read where people have used embossing powder to fill cracks and holes instead of using inlace.

I have some that I would like to try, but I am wondering about the technique. Would you simply glue it in and then smooth it or would you follow the normal instructins for embossing and apply heat until it melts?

jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeffj13

Thanks for your replies. I just tried a couple of different colors (gold, silver, teal) on a test blank and it worked fine. Not happy with any of the colors, but the process worked ok.

My wife bought the powder at Michael's craft store. I wanted turquoise(sp), but she said they didn't have any. Anyone know of anyplace to get some turquoise embossing powder?

jeff

kenwc

Same here. Bought it at Michaels and when used with CA it works great to fill voids. At the time I got turquoise.

Fangar

Jeff,

I have made a few pens with the embossing powders. I used a spray adhesive to bond the powder to the wooden blank and then flamed it with a propane torch. I creates an interesting effect. I then applied a CA finish over the top and made it really thick to smooth it out. Casting of the finished pen would have been nice too. The powder could be used as a gap filler too as it is fairly fine.

pinkpurplecigar.jpg

closeup.jpg

Cheers,

Fangar

Skye

That's not half bad! Did you mask off the bushings and all with tape then spray it with adhesive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom