Embedding metal pin in a wood pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jmc1967

Morining,
I have a customer that wants a metal insignia embedded in the cap of a coulpe of Statesman pens. My dilema is how to accuratley cut the recess for the metal part. One is a long thin rectangle, the other is a round pin that is formed to the radius of the pen cap.

The only method I have come up with is to turn the cap to its final dimension, trace the outline of the pin, and carfully remove the wood down to the brass tube. There has got to be an easier way.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
joec

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Can you find a numbered or lettered drill bit that is close to the pin diameter ? Wouldn`t really matter if the brass tube was drilled through . If bit is slightly undersize , should be possible to carefully file out the hole .

Mr Vic

I'll bet Jeff would say: Split the cap blank down the middle and scroll the design into one half. Glue the two back together, drill and insert the tube. Glue in the insignia, pour in clear resin/pr to fill and turn away... Of course you could split in half and have it laser cut if you don scroll......

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
You could scan it and turn the scan into a template for a laser. You could
insert the pin like an inlay.

rsmith

+1 for the laser template idea, or if you have the patience, a dremel with the extended "flexi thingy" (couldn't even begin to tell you what they call it) and a small carving bit would work, but not nearly as accurate. I'd be real interested in seeing what you finally come up with.

Top Bottom