Elody,Corian question?????????????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It looks like you might be the resident Corian expert.( I looked at your album,Nice!)
Do you glue up your own Corian blanks to make the larger diameter blanks or are they already glued up in pieces larger than 1/2 square when yo get them.
I have been successful gluing up the blanks for larger pens but doing so without a visible glue line is hit or miss.
When I get rare pieces larger than 1/2 inch,they have been glued up previously and have no glue joint visible.
Any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cjthomas

Eagle, I'm definitely no expert, but I have looked into dIY solid surface countertops. The installers have a glue that they use to join the countertop on site. I'm not sure what it is though. The articles that I have read say the seam is invisible when the instructions are followed. I'm not sure how CA compares to what the installers use.

elody21

OK, Here goes!
Solid surface material is made of different things.
Corian and Wilsonart to name a couple are made of acrylic
Avonite brand has some acrylic and the pieces that are some what clear are actually polyester!
It is almost inpossible even with the adhesive made for Avonite and following their directions to glue up with out a seam showing! I tried many ways, even calling the company and that's what they told me.
Avonite also has a poly, acrylic blend which I have mixed results with.
Solid surface has not been made in a greater thickness than 1/2" for about 12 years so it makes it difficult to get the 3/4" thickness
A fabricator can special order 3/4" Corian for many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Most of the larger blanks that I have are either the old 3/4" or
my largest supply of big blanks came from a countertop place going out of business! My son and I helped clean and unload the storage area in exchange for solid surface material! Trust me this was no easy task!! I ended up with a sprained wrist and a ruptured disc!!! Was it worth it? Of corse!!!! Anyway the countertop fabricator had a habit of glueing up 8 foot by 1 1/2" sections a head of time in many colors in bulk!! Sooooo I have a dard lot of glued up sections ready for me to cut into pen blanks!!!!!
When gluing up Corian or any acrylic coountertop I really prefer using the adhesive for the company.
Corian adhesive is a 2 part adhesive and is actually liquid corian!
It can be purchased on e-bay but be warned some of the oned that they sell have to be mixed up all at the same time!!! The ones that say selfmixing are great but you have to purchase a special mixing gun. Corian brand self mixing carterages can ONLY be used with the Corian gun!!! No exceptions!!!!
Ther are several other companies on the internet that have solid surface adhesive
ACS International in Tuson. can't find the web address at this time but they do have one. and Inegra Adhesives at www.ingra-adhesives.com
You can get an adaptor for your everyday caulk gun for there carterages. There again I am not sure, but do not think that the parts are interchangable between companies. Each company has a list of adhesive that corresponds with the colors of the differest countertop companies. So before you order you need to know the company and the exact color name of your piece
If you decide to use solid surface adhesive PLEASE take precausions!!!!!!! It is VERY NASTY Stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is really best to do this out side when the temp. is over 70 but if you insist on doing it in the house wear eye protection,nitrle gloves, a face mask for fumes ( I like the 3M 8247 ) I think I got it at Menards. It looks like a notmal mask but is a grey color and is great for anything stinky like CA glue! Anyway I have an exaust fan in my work room and a ceiling filter (really for dust) but it makes me think it helps. I usually have a fan on the gluing facing up to the exaust fan. The warmer it is the faster it dries. Oh did I mention the fumes are flamable? I usually turn off the furnace while gluing. It is easier to do it outside but still where tie mask,goggles and gloves.
Maybe as the kids say this it too much information.
I have had very good luck with the corian adhesive. You usually do not get any seams.
If you want to use wood along with your corian check out my photos. For pens with wood and corian I use flexable CA glue. I leave it overnight to cure. Whenever drilling corian of course one must unload the drill every 1/4" or less. When drillg through glued up corian the problem is the stress the joint go through that is why the flexable works the best. Several of the pen suppliers have this.
Well I guess I have talked enough. I hope this helps.
As to the Ca glue and the seam showing It "seams" like some of the colors work better than others. I too have had mixed results. Alice

G

I appreciate the time it tool you to provide the answer.
I have made many pens out of solid surface material but i don't think I will infringe on your market.
The glue line isn't a problem when working with contrasting colors as you have probably found, it's gluing up the same color to get the proper thickness that is the problem.
I was given a large slice of 3/4 corian
4"X 3/4" by 8 feet long.
At least your reply gave me insight as to why that piece was thicker than what I normally get.
I know that it was quite old when I got it.
I had done some research on gluing solid surface materials and was aware the glue was expensive and that a different glue was needed for each color and manufacturer.
That is why I keep experimenting with CA.
Thanks again.

elody21

Actually the adhesive from AIS is only $7.00 a tube and the carterage adapter is maybe $4.00. There is also no min. $ per order. So if you have a large piece of corian, the adhesive is probably less than CA. What color is your 3/4" in? A great find!

elody21

I guess I did not mention that the pens in my photos that are the European wood corian combo are made entirelly with 1/2" corian. If drilled straight the bottom of the European pen can be made with 1/2" corian. Than is what I usually use for all of my 7mm European corian pens.

G

Originally posted by elody21
<br /> What color is your 3/4" in? A great find!

The 3/4" I have is WHITE&lt;WHITE WHITE,no speckles or pattern.
AS far as the adhesive that you mentioned,AIS?
I imagine I would need a different color for each of the corian pieces I have?

elody21

Sorry ACS International. Yes each color has its own adhesive. Although they do have clear in the Avonite listing. I have not tried Avonite clear on corian but it might work. Some of the colors do use the same adhesive.

cjthomas

I think I just happened across a deal similar to elody21. I called the first countertop contractor I saw in the phone book. They said they had a shop where they used to make the countertops, but now they just sell and measure. The countertops are made elsewhere. The lady on the phone said they had tons of scraps in the back some large and some small and I was welcome to come and look through all they had. I think I hit the motherload.

G

"I think I hit the motherload."
Load being the operative word.

Travlr7

Just addin' my $.02 U.S.

The pens I turn for the FFP program all have corian in them. I glue a Red, a White and a Blue piece together, then glue that to the main wood of the pen. I have not had any problems of a seam showing. I have been using Thick CA to glue everything together. The pictures are in my gallery.

Bruce[;)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom