Elm and Magnolia Questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

sam4msu

Has anyone worked with either of these? I have a friend who downed one of each in his yard and has offered as much as I want of both. I would want to make pens as well as other turnings with them. I am just looking for some input as to whether it is worth taking up space in the shop for it to dry.
Thanks for any help you all can offer.
Sam

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

Elm also spalts beautifully...makes really nice turnings.

I haven't used magnolia but saw some amazing pieces made from it...especially dyed ones. Nothe that magnolia is kinda plain looking as is.

BUT...free wood is good wood. Take them all! [^][:D]

BTW, best pieces are found at rootball (or as close as possible) and crotch areas.

bobskio2003

It's going to depend on what kind of Elm it is to how it will look. Most look fine but some do have an intersting smell (like cat urine). Magnolia can be a little bland but if you can find some pieces with interesting grain, it can be quite nice. Hope this helps, Bob I.

jthompson1995

I've gotten some magnolia that was gorgeous. It is southern magnolia (the evergreen kind) and has creamy white wood with lilac purple rings. I angle cut as much as possible and the rings swirled around very nicely. As for workability, it is fairly soft and tears out a little. I've found it best to use a sharp skew and leave it a little proud of the bushings, then sand to final shape. Also, like holly, be very careful to keep the blank clean as it is almost white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom