Elk antler suggestions.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

samuel07

I've got a customer who is going to supply me with a bunch of elk antler.
I've haven't done any antler yet so is there anything I should be aware of? It seems that CA is the primary finish of choice.

Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Elk antler is BIG. If your customer is going to supply you with sheds from spike bulls, some of it will be usable. If you're getting racks from good size bulls, must of it won't be of much use for pens unless you like a lot of marrow. If it's been out in the weather, there will be lots of cracks in it also.

Rifleman1776

As already said, elk is big, lots of marrow. But the smaller tines and the very ends should be usable. Save the big stuff for your knife maker friends. And the big button makes lots of nice stuff. For belt buckles and other jewelry it is great.

samuel07

I just read on some website that there is the possibilty for many different colors inside the elk antler.
Sounds like I'll just fill the marrow with CA and go for it.

Skye

Now, I've never turned all marrow, so the question is; Can you CA it while turning it? If it's like a sponge, you may be able to get a solid coat by filling the outer pockets, but down near the barrel would still be hollow? Is that going to pose a problem if dropped?

TomJ

Ive turned caribou antler. It seems everyone is spot on with the replies. It had lots of marrow and the tines are usable. You should try and experiment with it .
TomJ

gerryr

Some people don't like the look of the marrow, others don't mind. I don't know about stablizing, but you can bleach it to some extent. Use peroxide from he drug store. Cut and drill it and then put it in the peroxide for at least 48 hours. The peroxide will remove most of discoloration from the marrow, sometimes all of it. If you have marrow showing, you definitely need a CA finish. I usually use 2-3 coats of thin CA.

Skye

You'll find hunters like the antler as dirty as discolored as possible. I had one that was white, one that was really covered in brown and tan areas, he loved that one.

tnilmerl

I know, it's a sacrifice, but if you change your mind and decide to forego the effort, I'll take it off your hands [:D][:D].

Everyone else pretty much it all the 'need to know' items. Additionally, storage can be cumbersome. I cut all the branchs off for easier storage. If too long, I cut the main and side branches down a little and store in large open containers. I also save all cut-offs and scraps for later use as accents, center bands, or filler pieces. As far as CA is concerned, I use thin CA to fill porous areas. Just dribble on one or two drops at a time and let the natural capillary action wick the CA into the antler. Keep applying drops until no more can be absorbed. For finishing, use any of the CAs, but I personally use the thicker stuff for sealing/finishing.

Joe Melton

I use all parts of the antler for pens. Some of these have been up to almost two inches in diameter. The inside of the larger diameter sections is very porous, so I don't use it for pens that have thin wall thicknesses. (If a piece comes out, the brass will show, and filling it will disrupt the patterns of the colors. It looks like a pothole that has been filled.)
When you are about 1/16" proud of the bushings, start slurry sanding. Continue till all voids are filled. When you get down to the bushings, using plain sandpaper, there should be no voids or pits remaining.
The colors inside are often spectacular. While all antler pens are attractive, it is my experience that those with the most colors are those the customers find most interesting. Browns, yellows and purples are not unusual.
Just my experience.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom