Elk Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

moke

I was given several large pieces of Elk Antler last night----does it turn like Deer Antler? I looks to have a "center" to it almost like bone marrow. How do I turn this.....I assume it will smell like Deer Antler....wow....but it does turn out nice.
If anyone has any suggestions, let me know...
Thanks
Mike aka Moke

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jskeen

I agree, it's much like whitetail in structure, just larger. the Main beams usually are so large and the pith is so porous that it is difficult to turn for pens, but not impossible, and it does yield some interesting colors and textures. The tips and tines usually are much easier to work with.

rd_ab_penman

The Elk Antler marrow is very porous and will take lots of Thin CA to start and Med CA to finish.

dsc00244rx.jpg

dsc00240xc.jpg

dsc00237mg.jpg

Results can be quite striking with a variation of colors.

blacktitaniumplatinumel.jpg

blacktitaniumplatinumels.jpg

blacktitaniumplatinuman.jpg

blacktitaniumplatinumelp.jpg

Les

moke

Thank you Les for taking the time to the time and effort to photograph the pen and the process. It will be very helpful. It looks awesome....

John, I will photograph some of my pens soon, as you know I operate a Photo studio so photographing my pens is a little like a busman's holiday! But I have put it off long enough....but I have some new awesome toys to play with from that place ....ummm...I think its called....Penturnersproducts.

If you guys that TBC don't use his tool rest or bushings are really missing out. Oh and that delrin "cone" bushings are the best to CA on....
Mike aka: Moke

Top Bottom