Elk Antler

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chris99210

Are there any problems or special issues in using Elk Antler? It seems there are plenty of deer antlers used for pens, but I don't recall seeing anything about Elk. I'm only looking to make a few pens -- the main thing I've found is it seems to be more expensive than deer antler but I don't know if it drills, turns, and finishes OK.

Thanks,
Chris

Woodlvr

I am not the most experienced turner but I have turned a couple of dozen Elk antler pens with no problems (except my problems:frown:). I have a 7 X 7 point drying in the shed from my stepson drying while he is impatiently waiting for me to turn a couple of pens from it for him.

gvpens

No harder than turning deer antler.
Since it is thicker than deer antler there is generally more of the inside marrow which is softer and needs to be filled with CA. The thinner sections of bone near the tip make the best pens in my experience.

PaulDoug

I handle it the same as deer, fact I turn more elk. Only because my SIL got me a nice set of elk antlers for $0.50 at a yard sale. The husband was away so the wife said $.50 for the set!!

Top Bottom