Elegant American kit?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

KC

I just made a couple of these...not sure whether I like 'em yet. The mechanism(s) seem tight, and I'm having problems pressing the mechanism 'flush with the end of the upper tube'. I can get it REAL close, but not flush...and I think it would be even better if it was 'buried' in the tube a teensy bit. Assembled, the upper barrel doesn't sit flat on the center ring. So two questions...first, comments on getting the mechanism flush are appreciated. Second, is there a 'lookalike' kit, or is Berea (AS) the only game in town for this design?

Thanks...

KC

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KC

I found a twin on the Woodcraft site that's a double twist (Bearea is single). If the guts are different, I may try it out.

KC

byounghusband

Kirk,
What are you using to square the end of the blank after glue up? Are you sanding or using a pen mill? Make sure the cutting edges on the pen mill are sharp if that's what you use.
Also make sure that you can see bright brass tube at the end of the blanks when you square it up.
Make sure you clean out the tube of any left over glue, etc. I had a Sierra that was very difficult to twist and Don Ward suggested the same thing to me and wow, what a difference.

Hope this helps!![8D]

wayneis

KC, its going to be the same kit because Wood Craft buys all of their kits from Berea. I think that the problem you are having is because you don't have the ends of the blanks square, at least thats what it sounds like to me. Yes Berea is the only one to make this kit. I quit making them a long time ago but only because I didn't like how sharp the centerband is on them. Also according to the catalog and the kits that I had Berea uses the same double twist on this kit as they do on all of the flat top kits.

gerryr

Did you press the finial into the transmission first? I ask because I didn't on the first one of these I made and had the same problem you mention. The Hart Double Twist at Woodcraft is made by Berea and is the same pen, although either it has a different transmission or it isn't really a double twist.

BTW, if you don't like the sharp edge on the CB, I have a fix for it that's cheap.

KC

Thanks for the responses...the answer may well be that my barrel trimmer thingy is dull, and just a touch loose in the tube. I was putting it together in whatever order the instructions said.

KC

airrat

KC
I have had some problems with that kit as well. Seems to me that you have to be right one with "everything". I made one out of tulipwood and even with a new trimmer could not get it to "flush" up. I finally used a file and got it close enough. The pen still ended up as mine. I like the feel just not sure if I like the workings of it.

B

bobm

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />
BTW, if you don't like the sharp edge on the CB, I have a fix for it that's cheap.
boy gerry, if no one else is gonna ask, I sure will....what would that fix be....probably the best feeling pen I've use except for the cb issue.
thanx,
bob

challagan

Originally posted by bobm
<br />
<br />
boy gerry, if no one else is gonna ask, I sure will....what would that fix be....probably the best feeling pen I've use except for the cb issue.
thanx,
bob

Bob, see the post on this page with title Comfort Ballpoint Pen VS Elegant American Ballpoint. There is a link in that thread.

Corey

Pipes

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />KC, its going to be the same kit because Wood Craft buys all of their kits from Berea. I think that the problem you are having is because you don't have the ends of the blanks square, at least thats what it sounds like to me. Yes Berea is the only one to make this kit. I quit making them a long time ago but only because I didn't like how sharp the centerband is on them. Also according to the catalog and the kits that I had Berea uses the same double twist on this kit as they do on all of the flat top kits.

Thats a fact about Berea kits and woodcraft I was there one day when they were shipping a massive pallet a kits to woodcraft

http://affordablepipes.com/

B

bobm

Originally posted by challagan
<br />
Originally posted by bobm
<br />
<br />
Bob, see the post on this page with title Comfort Ballpoint Pen VS Elegant American Ballpoint. There is a link in that thread.
Corey
Thanx Corey...
I didn't realize that was what Gerry was referring to....sounds reasonable from a cost standpoint, but not sure how effective I would/could be building up the inner ring level with the outer rings and still have it look decent.
thanx again

bob

lkorn

The Elegant American is a great pen, but it is fussy. the finished lengths of the tubes is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL.. You've got to be real careful when squaring off the blanks so as not to trim any length from the tubes or the tranny won't fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom