Elegant American center band

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PMisiaszek

I turned a few Elegant American ballpoints using kits from Berea. The center ring for that pen is a "sandwich" with a black center between two bright metal rings. The edges of the rings are sharp, and even when turned to correct bushing size, the inner edge of the ring is uncomfortably sharp. It is so sharp that when I tried to hand-force the ring into position on one of the early pens I made, I cut my thumb. My question is: what do I do to ease that edge without ruining the finish of the ring or the appearance of the pen?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Here's what I've done and it work really well. When I bought my first Elegant Americans, I took all the centerbands out and put them on an old piece of scrap fishing rod, a dowel of the correct diameter would also work. I mixed up some epoxy that used to coat the threads on fishing rods. I put the scrap rod in my rod dryer(I also build fly rods) and put some epoxy in the groove. I turned the dryer on and let it rotate for about 90 minutes, it rotates at about 22 rpm. The next day I applied a second coat to bring it up level with the rings. The next time I got some kits, I used Sally Hansen Hard as Nails clear nail polish from Wal Mart and it worked just as well. You can also rotate by hand, just keep it level and rotate 90 degrees every 10-15 minutes until it doesn't run anymore.

gerryr

I suppose you could get some of that polymer clay, fill the groove in and bake it. That would be easier and take less time. But, I agree with Fangar that Berea ought to fix it. Its every bit as irritating as the Sierra bushing problem, except its been around longer.

Fangar

Too bad too. I really like the kit. I have one getting ready to go onto the mandrel. I will screw around with it and see what I can figure.

Fangar

Pipes

Originally posted by gerryr
<br />I suppose you could get some of that polymer clay, fill the groove in and bake it. That would be easier and take less time. But, I agree with Fangar that Berea ought to fix it. Its every bit as irritating as the Sierra bushing problem, except its been around longer.

What is the Sierra bushing problem ??? I just did 3 and they seem fine ! DID I miss somthing /??[?]

The original Sierra bushings had a poor fit (were loose) on the mandrel and their replacements had the holes drilled off-centre. The ones they are selling now are supposed to be ok. At least mine are. Don't worry Pipes, you didn't miss anything[:D]

Pipes

Originally posted by Geo in Winnipeg
<br />The original Sierra bushings had a poor fit (were loose) on the mandrel and their replacements had the holes drilled off-centre. The ones they are selling now are supposed to be ok. At least mine are. Don't worry Pipes, you didn't miss anything[:D]

Okie dokie I was just checking as I will be 52 tommrow and its getting harder everday to keep up [:D]!! That and I did 3 sierras today and no problems and I was trying to figure out what my problem shuld a been [:eek:)] BUT I got enough problems without looking for any more [:D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom