Elegant American

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Did my first Elegant American pen today... I like it and even more important my wife liked it.. and she is really critical of pen designs... LOL
HOWEVER, before doing it I read the directions the other day and noticed something interesting and called Jim at Berea to discuss it..
The directions state that the mechanism assembly must be even with the bottom of the upper barrel.. MMMMMM then I thought to myself "Self, I need to find out more about this direction".. after discussing it with Jim I realized that if you are not extremely careful about trimming the pen blank after glue up you are going to have a big problem. If the barrel is made too short the mechanism is going to stick out the bottom and the center ring is not going to mate properly and you are going to have a gap.. .a very unsightly and ugly gap..
Taking this under advisement, I trimmed my blanks very carefully (I thought), turned the pen (Pics will be along later today) and went to the assembly bench... put together the mechanism and measured it.. then measured the upper barrell... Upper barrel .012 too short... don't sound like much, but enough to leave an unsightly gap... OK totally ticked at myself.. now what.. Then I looked at the mechanism and realized that the brass section that the finial screws into has a tapered opening.. giving you a section that can be sanded to length.. a little 400 grit paper on the assembly bench, rub sand the upper part of the mechanism and measure until .008 shorter than the barrel.. BINGO.. worked like a dream...
If I had not discussed this with Jim at Berea, I might have ruined a nice pen. This is also a situation where the directions are really not clear enough to the dangers of over trimming the blank.. I think that the companies take it for granted that we all just barely kiss the tubes.. and those of us with experience do try to barely kiss the tubes.. but what about the newbies or what if the tube was just .010 short from the manufacturer.. we have all seen that problem..
Think I am going to call Jim back tomorrow and discuss this.. one of the nice things with doing business with Berea is that you can actually talk to the owner and he will listen and help...
Same as we can actually talk to Nils from CSU... that is what makes both of these companies so great to deal with..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Thumbs

Tom, I have no idea what an "Elegant American" is; but I can hardly wait to see the picture. The info. that you have just shared is a great example of what this forum is all about though! I may not like this particular style (whatever!?) but I can appreciate learning something more about the world of "penturning" regardless......Thanks.

Come on where's that picture? How'll I know?

driften

So you are saying the transmission is so long that if the upper tube is slighty short it can keep the clip bushing from seating all the way and leave a gap at the finial if you seat the transmission before the clip bushing and finial? Good warning on that!

I did not have any problems on the ones I did. One thing I did was screw the transmission to the CB before pressing into the upper barrell so that the grain lined up. I did the nib, clip and finial last. It was easy to grain match that way. It might help also to polish/wax the bottom of the upper barrell so that it moves smoothy over the CB.

So Tom what did you think of the CB? To me that is the only drawback to the kit. If black part of the CB was not stepped down with a sharp edge I think I would love this kit.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I had no problem with the centerband.. in fact unless I ran my finger over it I barely noticed it.. especially not when writing with it... gave it to my wife who is really a tough critic on pen kits and she liked it also and had no problems with it.. I do agree that it is a bit on the sharp side and I would prefer the black center to be even with the metal or the metal slightly releived at the edges.. but then again I did not design it..
I am only making 5 for now to see how they sell.. all chromes.. 1 ea Antique Longleaf Pine, Redwood burl, Green Dyed Stab Poplar, Blue Dyed Curly Maple & Birdseye Maple (maybe dyed)... will post pics when done.. the Pine is the first I did...

vick

I also like that kit but the top barrel is very unforgiving. Maybe I should have read directions before I did my forst one.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Tom,

When you talk with Jim you may want to ask about pen nibs as well. Make sure you have some time, but he is a wealth of information on any topic dealing with pens.

By the way, the show this weekend was OK (not great, not ugly), but I still have each and every one of my elegant American pens (12 turned-all acrylics). Still selling Cigar shape and slimlines.

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
Ed, that is why I am only going to do 5 Elegant Americans... if they don't sell I am not out all that much... can always use them for gifts or something...

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hope you turn 5 and take 50 orders!! (If you do, I know where you can get about a dozen in acrylic wholesale!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom