Elastic Bands Leaving Marks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Troy Cole

I was just wondering if anyone has had a problem with elastic bands in a pen box leaving marks on a lacquer finish? I had a pen with a lacquer finish, Cured for 10 days after the final coat. After it was in the box for about a week I noticed that there was a mark in the finish right where the elastic band was. Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
Troy Cole

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

It has happened to everyone I have talked to, even after curing for over a month. I still do a few laqcuer finished but never put them in the cases with elastic retaining bands.

Even something to consider with CA finishes. I started leaving my pens out at least a day after applying the CA finish before assembly because I noticed the clip leaving an impression on a fresh (one or two hour old finish) CA finish. The CA might be hard enough to sand and polish but is still soft enough to leave impressions.

Buzz

I use a reasonable looking cardboard pen box for sales but always make sure that I position the elastic over the the centreband when packaging them. I don't expect the end-user to keep it in such a box, and often throw in a velvet drawstring pouch for people who I think will not be carrying it in the breast pocket of a shirt, eg. ladies and anyone buying a pen too big for the typical shirt pocket.

Using pen boxes that have the ribbon rather than elastic stay would also solve the problem.

MDWine

I had the same problems w/lacquer. In my experience, 30 days is a marginal cure time. Once the lacquer has cured for 60 days or there 'bouts, I don't have that problem.

OTOH, I like my lacquer finish much more than those pen-books! [;)]

alamocdc

I still use pen binders and gift boxes, but with lacquer, I've gone to storing my pens in a velvet rool-up I got from CSUSA ($5) and either velvet drawstring or leatherette pouches from Beartooth Woods.

Rifleman1776

Billy, is your "rool-up" anything like the roll-up I use?

20071127142145_rofl.gif
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom