El Toro Design

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

Do all y'all set up your blanks so that the grain is continuous in the posted, or in the capped position?

In cutting the 1/8" tenon on the cap, do you start right at the bushing, and work in to the blank, or at the 1/8" point on the blank, and work out to the bushing? This will be my first tenon pen. I don't have an 1/8 parting tool, so can't do it all in one bite.

Thanks,

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EeyorIs21

I line up the grain for the cap when pen is closed, just a matter of preference I think.

If you measure carefully you could start just inside the 1/8" mark and work to bushing. I am guessing your using a 1/16" parting tool then, just remember to use a light hand, let the tool to the work. After you turn down to the brass the piece of wood closest to the bushing may pop right off, or possibly be removed without actually having to turn it off, just depends.

I match it closed, but when I assemble I try to get a clean visual on the capped end too...assembly for me starts with pressing in the nib holder first, aligning the cap sleeve, and then press the ring on the cap, then align the post with the half assembled cap, then finally the clip. I also use a drop of red locktite when pressing my hardware. The nib ccan be positioned by hand to aligh with the clip.
:)

Top Bottom