El Grande Twist pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dario

I assembled my first El Grande last night and I had a few snags.

First the plated writing tip won't slide easily in the black plastic (also part of the writing tip). I learned later that some platings flaked off and got sandwitched in between. That took me long to loosen and clean up.

After assembly, it worked nice but the center band looked like it wasn't seating properly and a bit "suspended so I tried to pull the top and bottom apart...I did it but the twist mechanism broke!!! Cheap plastic part %$^%*&(^%. I managed to put it together even with the broken twist mechanism and still works but definitely just a home pen now...a shame since it is made of amboyna burl [V]

I will post a pic later if I find time to take pics on daylight.

Anyone experienced similar problems with this kit? I am thinking that it probably is good idea to stay at the length of the tubes...and not get any shorter...not even just a bit especially the top (cap) portion.

wayneis

Dario I've made several of them with no problems and you are right about the tube length. I don't have a kit sitting in front of me but I'm guessing that you have more room to play with the top tube if you needed to take off a touch. The bottom tube really needs to stay the same length or it will not retract all the way if you make it shorter.

Wayne

lkorn

Dario,
This sounds like an excuse to buy a few spare parts. Not that there's anything wrong with a personal pen made of Amboyna Burl[:)], but for the (at most) cost of another kit, you'll have a saleable pen again.

Dario

I wouldn't mind sacrificing another kit...and maybe I will do just that. I need to disasseble the cap part though since part of the twist mechanism that broke is stuck IN the top part (same part where you screw the clip and finial to).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom