El Grande question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

driften

I have been thinking of trying out the El Grande and the Ligero. The El Grande needs a 33/64 bit but I was reading that size is actually too tight to insert the tube with out some filing. How about using the 17/32 but CSUSA says the Ligero needs? Its the next size up in the drill chart. I don't have any bits over 1/2" so I will have to buy what ever I try and good big bits are not cheep. It would be nice to use one set of bits for both kits.

What did you guys do?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Old Griz

Passed Away Oct 4, 2013
In Memoriam
I prefer the Ligero over the El Grande... mostly because it has just a bit more mass weight than the El Grande... they are virtually the same pen in looks and styling...
My persona preference would be to go to the Ligero... I have had no problems with the tubes fitting the 17/32 drilled hole. I have never tried that bit on the El Grande, but have had no problems with the proper drill either.

wayneis

Jeff if you don't mind the extra work then the El Grande Streamline in my opinion is the nicest of the batch. The cap uses two tubes one larger than the other and it tapers because of it which really gives the finished pen a nice look. Style A to me is the best looking.

Wayne

Fangar

I have made several El Grandes, and noted that the 33/64 bit for the cap tube is very tight upon completion. Personally, I would try the next bit up. Maybe check it on a piece of scrap wood. Especially as I personally like the Ligero better. Both have too much plastic, but I prefer the ligero.

Cheers,

James

fritzmccorkle

i use the 33/64 and have not had a problem. in comparing the el grande and the ligero i remember reading a review by richard kleinhenz where he felt there was a problem with the threading on the ligero.

I just order the bit from Beartooth, & he recommended 8.3mm. Didn't even know there was such an animal. BTW, for those who do not know, Ernie has a newsletter of specials that he sends about every 2 weeks. These are better deals than just going to his website & are earlier than those sales. Go to his website to signup.

wayneis

Ernie must have misunderstood you because 8.3 is much much smaller than the 33/64" bits, maybe 18.3. I don't remember if I bought my 33/64" bit from Berea or from BB but I don't have any problems with it being to small.

Wayne

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I think you meant 13.3 mm, PastorBill. Bill Baumbeck is now recommending the same bit! http://arizonasilhouette.com/Drill_Bits.htm

I haven't made an El Grande or Ligero (soon I hope) but here's the drill sizes;
1)33/64" = .5156"
2)13.1mm = .5157"
3)17/32" = .5313"
4)13.5mm = .5315"
5)8.3mm = .3268"
I think the difference between 1 and 2 as well as 3 and 4 is negligable but I don't see how an 8.3mm would work for either kit.

Looks like 13.3mm wins! Sorry, DCBluesman didn't see your post.

Rudy Vey

Get the 13.3 mm bit from Ernie or BB. I also second what Wayne said, go with the Streamlined version of the El Grande; it seems to me that there was an improvement in the threading. The first EL Grandes I made could be easily cross-threaded when not carefully screwing the cap on, with the streamline version I never felt a problem. One of the benefits of both the streamlined version and the original is that the pen is very light and one can write a day long without a writers cramp. Anyways, top quality FT pens are always very light.

driften

I was thinking of making both the Ligero and El Grande. The main thing I like about the El Grande over the Ligero is the cap can be posted, but I like the looks of the Ligero better. The CSUSA catalog is correct that the cap can not be posted on the Ligero right?

I was thinking of trying the BlackTi El Grande that BB has on sale, but if the Ligero has better threads I will start with it and try the El Grande some other time.

Thanks guys! Any more advice?

Fangar

Originally posted by driften
<br />I was thinking of making both the Ligero and El Grande. The main thing I like about the El Grande over the Ligero is the cap can be posted, but I like the looks of the Ligero better. The CSUSA catalog is correct that the cap can not be posted on the Ligero right?

I've made a sold a few of the El Grande pens. As far as posting the cap, it is kind of a friction fit at best and does not stay posted real well.

James

wayneis

Jeff there's nothing wrong with the threads, Rudy said that originally they had problems but that was fixed. I've done a lot of El Grande's with no problems.

Wayne

driften

Originally posted by Fangar
I've made a sold a few of the El Grande pens. As far as posting the cap, it is kind of a friction fit at best and does not stay posted real well.

Most pens I have seen the cap is a friction fit for posting and they really vary in how well they do that job. The lamy post well, sheaffers not so good. On the El Grande or Ligero its more of a matter if they do it at all.

I normally post the cap on my Baron. It feels too short with out doing that. I am looking to try the El Grande for a pen thicker in the section then the Baron.

Thanks for that feedback James.

driften

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Jeff there's nothing wrong with the threads, Rudy said that originally they had problems but that was fixed. I've done a lot of El Grande's with no problems.

Wayne

Great! Thanks for that info Wayne. I expected that they fixed the problem if it was fixed on the Streamline version. I bet they use the same parts between them for that.

wayneis

Actually I'm not sure that there was really a fix to make. Sometimes these kits like anything else, can change from batch to batch and thats what I think may have happened.

The only difference between the regular El Grande's and the Streamline's are the caps, they will have a smaller cap finial than the regular EG because of the tapered cap.

You really do have to try these for yourself. Personally I am getting back to prefering the EG to the Legero again. The difference in weight for most people not enough to tell the difference. So to me the only difference in my mind is the centerband and the EG's have choises where there ane none with the Legero. Maybe sometime in the future Craft Supply will give us some choises like Berea did with the EG. I know that I'd like to see a Legero with a tapered cap which I may just end up doing my self.

Good luck and Happy Turning.

Wayne

driften

I am going to give the EG a try while they are on sale with BB. I ordered some BlackTi fountain pens from him last night.... Now I just have to decide what to make them with. I have lots of choices though.

scubaman

Passed Away Jun 20, 2018
In Memoriam
Originally posted by wayneis
<br />Actually I'm not sure that there was really a fix to make. Sometimes these kits like anything else, can change from batch to batch and thats what I think may have happened.
Yes, there was a fix. At the time the EG-SL was introduced, the thread design was fixed. In both models! What Berea did is extend the piece of the centerband fitting that fits inside the cap barrel. This eliminates the wiggle before the thread is started.

2005723224614_EG%20CB%20fitting.jpg
<br />
The old extension was about .300", the new one is .400". Actually, there were some more improvements to the EG design at the same time, but they are not externally visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom