El Grande problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

angboy

I'm trying to put together an El Grande ball point pen and I'm running into a problem. After I push the nib into the black nib adapter, then you're supposed to push those two parts into the nib holder. Well on the two kits I have, this step just won't push together. (Don't tell anyone, but I even tried using a hammer to get them together. It's just too tight of a fit. When it did this on the first one, I thought maybe it was just a defective kit, but the second one was even less willing to go together. And it looks like even if/when I get them together, the nib holder is going to be slightly wider than the nib adapter piece. Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any ideas of how to solve it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wood-of-1kind

Don't know a thing about the El Grande but I do know that a good pen press will displace your "friend" the hammer real soon.[;)]
A hammer, a hammer... a hammer[?][:eek:)]

-Peter-[:)]

hilltopper46

Those two parts DO press together very tightly. I use my drill press with a bolt chucked in it and it is as much or more down pressure than I wanted to create with it. They did go, but they are t-i-g-h-t !!!

Here's a picture of a completed one - the diameter does vary from the nib holder to the nib adapter.

http://www.omanopa.com/Pen131.jpg

Randy_

Angela: I've not done an El Grande kit; but maybe the gentle application of some 600 grit sandpaper in the appropriate places would help. If you end up going a little too far, some CA will solve that problem.

angboy

Well I think mine really doesn't seem different from what Tony's describing. I tried to take a few pix of the two that are partly together. It looks like I'm going to have that same difference like Tony shows in his. But next time I think I'll try Randy's idea and use some sandpaper! At this point they're both partly pushed in, so I have to decide if I'd be better off using more pressure, or taking it apart and using sandpaper before trying to push them together again. I'm not sure why the manufacturer made them this way!

20075732020_125.jpg

20075732044_126.jpg

20075732055_124.jpg

Firefyter-emt

Have you tried a press block to press that togather? If you have some Corain, I would use that. I will put a $20 on poor QC in the powder coating step. The powder coating is just too thick.

Pipes

I use those big wide nail files on things like this to sand them down ask your wife [:0]guys . The med a do it the black is to much . :O) .There easier to control than reg sand paper and last forever dang near ! [:D]

Randy_

Originally posted by angboy
<br />.....Well on the two kits I have, this step just won't push together. (Don't tell anyone, but I even tried using a hammer to get them together......

Geez, Angela, I didn't hear that!!
200757212533_shakehead.gif

What kind of a pen press are you using? I assume you tried to press the parts together before resorting to the hammer??

I think it is going difficult, if not impossible, to disassemble those parts without damaging them. Before you go any farther, might I suggest that you email Berea or AS or whomever the vendor was and pose your question to them. Perhaps there have been other complaints and they will replace your kits? At the least, it will run up the flag and they can check their stock to see if there is a bad lot pens. Maybe you can save another pencrafter from suffering the same problem.

Failing any other satisfactory solution, I would try the previously mentiioned idea of using a drill press, a bench vise or even a big C-clamp if you have one. You should be able to get a lot more straight-line force that way and either the parts will seat or they will be destroyed.

B

Bill Baumbeck

I called and spoke to Angela the other evening about the problem she was having. I suggested that she lubricate the two parts prior to assembly.

I took two of these kits that we have in stock and tried assembling the nib adapter and the nib holder by hand. Nope - too tight. I used an arbor press to assemble pens in the past so I tried that method but, instead of pressing the parts together 'dry', I applied a light coat of machine oil to the 'male' portion of the nib adapter as well as into the 'female' fitting of the nib holer. The two parts went together without any problem.

If you experience the same problem that Angela did I would suggest lubricating the parts prior to assembly.

Bill Baumbeck

angboy

Originally posted by Bill Baumbeck
<br />I called and spoke to Angela the other evening about the problem she was having. I suggested that she lubricate the two parts prior to assembly.

I took two of these kits that we have in stock and tried assembling the nib adapter and the nib holder by hand. Nope - too tight. I used an arbor press to assemble pens in the past so I tried that method but, instead of pressing the parts together 'dry', I applied a light coat of machine oil to the 'male' portion of the nib adapter as well as into the 'female' fitting of the nib holer. The two parts went together without any problem.

If you experience the same problem that Angela did I would suggest lubricating the parts prior to assembly.

Bill Baumbeck

I hadn't had a chance to get back online yet to update everyone, but I did get the parts together. As Bill said, he called me very shortly after I used his contact form to ask him about the problem I was having, and I was able to get the pieces together using what he suggested. Thanks Bill! [:)][:)]

ctwxlvr

from the photographs, and from doing rollerball and fountain pens the TI part looks like the receiver holder, not the nib holder, not sure if the ballpoint kits are that much different.

B

Bill Baumbeck

"...not sure if the ballpoint kits are that much different."

The names of the parts that I used in my original post are the same names as called out in the El Grande ballpoint pen instructions.

Bill Baumbeck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom