El Grande Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieW

I am in the process of making a couple of sets of El Grande fountain pen and pencil sets from Berea. When I started putting the pencil kits together I noticed that some of the pieces that are to be pressed into the blank are not tight as I can almost insert them with hand pressure. I read and printed it for my book where on some pens you have to use some epoxy before pressing them in. Is this common with these pens? I turned my first Corian pen and assembled it yesterday. It had the same problem so I mixed some epoxy and put a thin coat on them before pressing them in place. Today I check and they seem to be holding ok. Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

Yep, this happens with a lot of kits. The brass tube sizes do vary a bit and if they don't fit tight as you like, then glue them with either CA or fast drying epoxy.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
I prefer a loose fit to one that is so tight that the wood is split from pushing a fitting into a tube that is too small.

I use either the blue (preferred) or red Locktite for such things. It is easier to break the bond of the blue should I ever have to take a pen apart. It is easy to clean up any excess with Isopropyl alcohol, and that won't harm the finishes like trying to clean up a spot of CA glue.

BernieW

Thanks. That answers my question. Russ these that I am talking about I can push in with my fingers and pull out with my fingers. If I can't push them in I use the press and forgo the glue.

Rmartin

I would prefer them all to hand press fit. I've used CA, but I like Russ' idea of using Locktite which I use all the time at work for setting metal screws.

bjackman

7mm transmisions are the only thing I press in without glue. All other fittings I either sand down the pen part or file out the brass tube inside diameter slightly then glue the parts in with 5 min epoxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom