The El Grande Kit Berea I think. ??????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipes

I ordered some a these today and have NEVER made them before . Are there any weird quirks with this kit I need to know about ?? The site says you have a lot a blow outs when drilling it. Anymore things there not telling me :D

I guess I should of ask this BEFORE ordering them [:I] but I like them so well now I need to know about coming problems IF any ..

Thanks
pipes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rudy Vey

Guy,
the El Grande is an easy to make pen. The only negative thing is maybe that the thickness of the wood after turning is one of the thinnest of all types of pens I ever made. I like this kit and the so-called "Streamlined" version a lot. They are very light and one can write with these pens all day long without getting a writers cramp. You need a larger drill bit for the cap than stated, I think a 13.3 or 13.2 mm drill is the proper one.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Guy,

Rudy is (as usual) right. The thin barrels can be a problem, so be careful to avoid heat when sanding and finishing. The 13.3 mm drill is what you need for the cap, and is available at Beartoothwoods.com

I also think that you will find the pen a joy to write with. In some ways, the plastic parts bother me, esthetics-wise, but they do make for a light, comfortable pen.

FWIW,

Pipes

RUDY were you been dude ??? I need your E Mail and address . I lost track of you and we need to talk E mail .. Thanks for the advice guys .I assume this El Grande is a BIG pen ? I ordered the correct drill bits from AS when I placed the order today . His bits IMHO are the best going for me anyway I normaly just use when it NOT a weird on use the HF bits and sharpen them in my Drill Dr :O) . I also ordered some of the larger Sieras I think there called the vista Sierra ? Anyone know any quirks a these ? I know there larger and have more metal in them I think ?[:D]

Randy_

Anybody know what the tube OD is for the El Grande?? Someone gave me information for my Pen Reference Chart and said the tube was 0.509"; but that didn't match up well with the bushing measurements that I have so I'm not certain it is correct. OTOH, it does fit pretty well with the bit recommendation offered by Berea.

Tube = 0.509"??
13mm = 0.512"
33/64 = 0.5156"
13.1mm = 0.5157"
13.2mm = 0.519"
13.3mm = 0.523"

Anyone got a vernier caliper handy?? Thanks

Pipes

Originally posted by Firefyter-emt
<br />FYI, I just made one of these kits for the first time the other day (I do like it) It is the same bushings as the Churchill and the body is the same with diffrent hardware.

What one do you think has the best hardware ?? And is the best quality ?? [?]

ctwxlvr

I have done both, the Quality and materials are basically the same, major differences are in shape and markings on the parts. it is mostly plastic.

Firefyter-emt

Originally posted by Pipes
<br />
What one do you think has the best hardware ?? And is the best quality ?? [?]

It's still up in the air as I have not really finished the El-Grande due to a broken thread coupler so I hae not been using the El-Grande, but off the top of my head...

First off, I like the Churchill... No, I mean I really like this kit. Every kit has a "nusiance" which I have not yet seen on the Churchill. It does get some points removed for "looking low end" because of all the black on it (although it is brass, not plastic) I also think the clip looks weak, and while I have not had a problem at all it's that inital apperance.

Both kits share the same nib holder that I love the shape of (FP anyway) and they are both rather light for their robust looks.

Now on the El-Grande, I think this pen my be my new favorite. The pen has a time tested nib assy, thread coupler and other design features. (To be fair, some have mentioned broken couplers on these bodied pens and it is fair to point out that mine came broken right from the start, I had the side break off when I threaded the nib in.)

Aside from that damage ont he new kit, which I have to put down as a fluke, I really like the El-Grande better so far. I like the squared off lines over the rounded ends of the Churchill and the center band looks nicer with more plating over the black of the Churchill. Plus, while on the plain side, the clip appears much stronger.

Time will tell, but for now I think my vote goes to the El-Grande kit. [;)]

huntersilver

The el grande as the others have said are very thin, and light
weight. I have had problems with the fountain pens, customers tend
to write hard sometimes and the plastic around the nib has
broken off, and I have had to repair them[:(]

Firefyter-emt

How the Heck do you press hard enough with a FOUNTAIN PEN to break the nib holders!! I mean, I can see a rollerball, but geesh!!

That said, it would be nice to the that coupler part designed from brass and plated over the plastic insert.

Firefyter-emt

I would have to agree Bill. To press hard enough with FP, the nib would be bent. I use mine daily for work as an insurance appraiser, and the pen is capped and uncapped probably 50 + times a day and I have not damaged one yet. I have also been know to carry the pen in my front jeans pocket while getting in and out of my car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom