El Grande Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BernieW

Was wondering if anyone could tell me the length of the brass tubes for a El Grande Fountain Pen? I ordered one to try for my sister as she likes to use fountain pens. I got a little aggressive when trimming the ends square. I ordered replacement tubes but I think the fountain pen tubes are slightly shorter than the El Grande Ink Pens. Any help would be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Bernie, if my info is correct and I beleive it is, then the lengths are 1.970 and 1.695 inch resp for upper and lower.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Don't worry about the length, unless you have taken off more than 1/8". There is a lot of room for error. The important things are that the cap will screw down over the tip, and that all of the parts will fit inside of the pen. The most critical length is with the roller ball, and even here there is almost 1/4" of compression in the little spring behing the roller cartridge. The Schnidt reservoir is longer than the one that comes in the kit, and this could be a problem. However, that extra length is a problem when the tubes are as they should be, so don't worry if it doesnt fit - it doesn't fit when the tubes are full length either.

Make the pen, and don't worry about it, unless you have taken more than 1/8" off their pength. Anything less than that and they should still work.

The ElGrande is an excellent pen. The medium nib is more like a "broad" but I think it is the smoothest writing of all the fountain pen kits.

bjackman

Also note, if you are bottoming out with your converter, that sometimes you need to make the shoulder in the posting finial a little deeper. With some converters the shoulder on the converter where it flares out may be the first point to make contact with the shoulder in the back end of the pen.

gerryr

If the converter turns out to be too long, contact DCBluesman. He has some converters that are at least 1/2" shorter than the ones that come with the kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom