El Grande Finials Not Round?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alex D

I just finished my second El Grande and ran into an odd problem. On the El Grande, the cap finial screws onto a coupler that is pressed into the cap. On both pens that I made, the black finial is slightly off center and creates an out of round spot where there is a lip you can feel on one side of the finial.

Is this a known issue, or maybe just something I'm doing wrong? The barrel is round and mates perfectly with the clip retaining ring and center band.

It's not the end of the world and not noticeable since most people don't finger the top of the cap, but the fact that it has happened on the only two El Grande's I have made, but not on the Churchills that use a similar system seems odd enough that I figured it was worth throwing it out to the group.

Thanks,
Alex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alex D

I'll see if I can get some pictures up tonight to show the problem better.

I am turning between centers and the trim ring that abuts the barrel is a perfect fit. It is the finial cap that screws onto the coupler that is not concentrict with either my barrel or the clip trim ring. It almost seems like the finial (factory piece) is a hair too large.

Alex D

Good to see that I may not be alone in this. Here are the pics I took to try and illustrate the prolem. These are two different pens. I also tried screwing on a third finial I have from another set, it also had the same problem, but not as pronounced.

The white pen is a daily carry for me and was my first acrylic so please excuse the nicks and blemishes.

Oh, and I borrowd the pen stand from the 3yo son, I beleive it is a Veloceraptor.

The overall:

20140506_235739.jpg

Closeup of the problem area:

El%2520Grande%2520Finial%25202%2520Small.jpg

Pen flipped 180 degrees, showing how one edge is offset, but the opposite side is not:

El%2520Grande%2520Finial%25201%2520Small.jpg

Finally, another El Grande with a similar issue. This time the offset is smaller, but over a greater area:

El%2520Grande%2520Finial%25203%2520Small.jpg

As you can see, although my turning may leave plenty of room to grow, the barrels are concentric with the chrome trim ring, but the finial is not concentric with the trim ring. I'm wondering if maybe this has something to do with the way these are made with the plastic finial having a threaded insert pressed in (at the factory).

That said, I have done two Churchills that use the same method and neither of those had the cap problem.

I suppose it could be a bad batch, but the three finials I have tried were all purchased at different times from different vendors which would lead to me to beleive that they probably came from different batches.

Anyway, if this is a quirk of the El Grande's so be it, It can be disguised by clip pacement and at least it isn't at the body/nib junction where it would be a lot more noticeable.

However, if I am doing something to create this, I'd love to hear what it might be because I'm stuck scratching my head on this one. It's a bit frustrating because otherwise I really these components with acrylic blanks and they are light and nicely balanced.

Thanks!
Alex

toddlajoie

The crack that you have in this photo:

Is the main reason I no longer will even consider buying any of these kits. That has happened to EVERY SINGLE ONE of these pens that I have made...

Can't say I've ever notice the OOR, but it was very early in my penturning that I decided this kit was not worth it, so I may not have been too attuned to it

Alex D

The crack that you have in this photo:

Is the main reason I no longer will even consider buying any of these kits. That has happened to EVERY SINGLE ONE of these pens that I have made...

Can't say I've ever notice the OOR, but it was very early in my penturning that I decided this kit was not worth it, so I may not have been too attuned to it

Do you mean the dark line on the final to the right of the upper circle? If so, there is no crack, it's just a funky reflection. It sure does look like on in the picture though.

I haven't had any of the finals crack on me.....yet, but I've only made a few. Something I will keep my eye out for if I keep using these.

Thanks,
Alex

chriselle

You are right on with there being no problem with the Churchills but every single El Grande... and I've made a lot of em...has had this issue. I've had a few crack as well but the failure rate is fairly low in my case.

Top Bottom