El Grande drilling question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

allenworsham

I picked up a couple of El Grande kits to try out at my local Rockler store along with a 33/64" bit for the cap as I already had the 31/64" bit for the body. When I drill out the cap I find that the tube will only go in about 1/2" and then it gets too tight. I re-drilled it, but it still is the same. I tried this in different woods as some tend to shrink a bit when drilled, but still the same and with all the cap tubes. I measured the drill bit and the tip and shaft are 33/64". So I am a bit perplexed. I can sand down the tube to fit by putting it between centers, but I don't like doing that.

So I am wondering if this is just a Rockler product problem as I have run into funky things before with some of their kits. I went to Arizona Silhouette's site and they show that they now sell a 13.3mm bit that replaced the 33/64" bit. So anyone else run into this?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mrs

We ran into this problem making my first El Grande. We ran sand paper through the blank until the tube would slide in and used gorilla glue when setting the tubes in the blanks.

Mike

gcurran

I have had the same problem with the El Grande in wood, but not in acrylic. My fix is to take a round file to get close and then finish with rolled sandpaper. I do use epoxy to hold the tube.

tmhawk

Uhrkkk on me. 17/32 is 13.49 mm. Is that a work around for this kit. I'm going to get one (El Grande FP) to make my Mom a FP for Mom's Day. (HEY all you turners, Mom's Day is coming, 5/11/08, you've been advised, LOL). Holy COW, 33/64 doesn't work. LOML says, "You NEED another drill bit because...?" How to explain, ah.....well...your Mom gets a really cool fountain pen for Mothers Day too, instead of that jar of Maytag Blue Cheese stuffed Olives? 13.3 mm? Got to be special to AS. I have NO idea where I'm going to get a 17/32 bit, somewhere in Phoenix someone has one tho and I'm gon'a find that bit. YES, I know, could order the 13.3 from AS, bit plus shipping I could drive to Yuma even at 3.25 a gallon, hehe.
Thanks,
Tony

its_virgil

Rockler sells Berea kits (as does Woodcraft) and so does Arizona Silhouette. Rockler (and Woodcraft) only sell a small selection of platings and styles. The problem with the kit is the original instructions. Surprisingly I use the same bits you mentioned and I've not had that problem. Maybe my cheap(er) bits are on the larger end of the tolerences for that size bit. But, the 13.3 bit is a good fit for the El Grande.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by allenworsham

So I am wondering if this is just a Rockler product problem as I have run into funky things before with some of their kits. I went to Arizona Silhouette's site and they show that they now sell a 13.3mm bit that replaced the 33/64" bit. So anyone else run into this?

Thanks.

bitshird

I tried a 33/64 noresman from our shop supplier, and had the same problem, I wound up using a 17/32 and the fit is comfortable with either Gorilla Glue or 5 min Epoxy. I wasn't going to pay shipping just for 1 drill bit, (cheep cheep) [:eek:)]

randyrls

Originally posted by allenworsham

I picked up a couple of El Grande kits to try out at my local Rockler store along with a 33/64" bit for the cap as I already had the 31/64" bit for the body.

Just a general comment that I have found that the drill bit size on the instructions is often not the drill bit I wind up using. I write the drill bit size on the instruction sheet with any special instructions and the sizes of the fittings. I don't trust bushings and only use them as clamps to keep the wood spinning. I prefer to keep the hole snug around the tube and I have one of those 115 piece drill bit sets.

Hope this illuminates......

Top Bottom