El Grande and Churchill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

The kit instructions for both of these, from Rockler and Berea call for a 31/64 and a 33/64 drill bit.

A friend came over today and we drilled some blanks on the lathe at 33/64 but the tube would just not fit in the hole. It would go into the hole less than an 1/8 inch before it stopped. Not like it hit something but just too tight a hole.

I have both a rockler churchill and El Grande kit so after he left I drilled them both but the tubes would not fit. Again too tight.

I have made the Churchills before, with the same bit and everything worked fine.

Anyone else having problems like these or have any suggested fixes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tn-Steve

Since I'm the guy that started the thread that John referenced, I'll toss my .02 in. Get the 13.3 bit. Anything else is a pain, you've got to sand the hole out otherwise to get it to fit properly.

I know that I've got a 13.3 now, and it makes it a lot easier.

Steve
www.TwoCatsPens.com

jimwill48

I'll agree 13.3mm is the only way to fly on these kits. I believe AZ does list the correct size as 13.3mm. I've always wondered where the 33/64 size came from unless its just easier to get....james

gt64155

El Grande and Churchill Pens

Peter,
I've made about 100 Churchill pens. I've found the I can use the 33/64 bit if the material is acrylic. The heat from drilling will cause the hole to be a little larger. If I'm drilling wood, and most of my pens are wood you need to use a 13.3 m bit. I got my bit from Arizona Silhouette. Good luck.

Bill

havelockk

I have had no problem with the Upper blank in acrylic using the 33/64" drill bit.The major problem I have had is that the lower blank when drilled with the 31/64" drill bit is way too big. I measured the brass insert and it is .452" and the 31/64" drill bit is approx. .48" which is 1/32" too big. When I convert this to Metric is is approx 11.5mm. Trouble is does this exist as a drill size.? Also when I turned the lower blank down I could see the glue marks on the brass so I think I have to use a dark acrylic on this pen.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
The material on that cap gets very thin. If the hole is large, the tube can be "off center" at the two ends. This will increase the likelihood that you will "blow up the blank". Also with thin material, it will often be necessary to paint the hole to hide the brass. Again, this creates a problem with the tube "cocking".

Conclusion: Churchill and Cambridge require a little additional thought and planning.

I have had no problem with the Upper blank in acrylic using the 33/64" drill bit.The major problem I have had is that the lower blank when drilled with the 31/64" drill bit is way too big. I measured the brass insert and it is .452" and the 31/64" drill bit is approx. .48" which is 1/32" too big. When I convert this to Metric is is approx 11.5mm. Trouble is does this exist as a drill size.? Also when I turned the lower blank down I could see the glue marks on the brass so I think I have to use a dark acrylic on this pen.

Here are some 11.5mm that may work:
11.5 MM (.4528) HSS BPD SL - Brad Point Bits - Amazon.com

https://www.carbide.com/catalog/Drill-HSS-BP.cfm

Drill Bit - 11.5mm - Timberbits - Made in China

Top Bottom