El Grande

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

buster

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with this garbage kit. I spent 10-11 bucks on this thing and it sucks. I got it at Rockler is that the problem, all other kits I got from Woodcraft and CSUSA for even cheaper and they were way better quality.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
I have not bought any kits from Rockler. I have, however used the Berea El Grande and Churchill kits extensively, and they do not suck at all. If you use upgraded gold, the plating is not long lasting. As has been noted here several times, a press block is needed to press the nib holder to place and protect the plastic threads.

Chasper

I just made a batch of El Grandes over the weekend, I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. This is the second batch of El Grandes I've made, about a dozen in total, no problem so far.
Much has been written here about El Grande, I read all of the negatives and decided to make some anyway. There are a lot of good hints in the previous messages about how to make them without problems.

its_virgil

I don't think the fact that they were purchased from Rockler is an issue. Rockler and Woodcraft resells Berea kits and the El Grande is a Berea kit. Maybe some insight why you think the kit sucks and we can help you unsuck it. I personally like the El Grande and sell many of them. I read lots of negatives about the plastic, but several other kits have just as much plastic...and many many high dollar commercial pens are 100% plastic, except for a few parts such as clips, nibs, and couplers.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by buster

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with this garbage kit. I spent 10-11 bucks on this thing and it sucks. I got it at Rockler is that the problem, all other kits I got from Woodcraft and CSUSA for even cheaper and they were way better quality.

dalemcginnis

Local Chapter Leader
I have made many pens from Rockler, including the El Grande, and have never had a problem other than the instructions on the El Grande rollerball saying to put the spring in the wrong place.

DKF

Originally posted by buster

Can you be more specific as to what "sucks"...plating, threads, plastic issue, or what.

gwilki

I've not had any problems with the El Grande kit either. I've only done 2 of the ballpoints, but I've done a dozen or so rollerball and FP, and none have come back for any reason. They are easy to customize, too.

As the others have asked, Buster, what's your issue(s) with them?

Top Bottom