EEE Ultra Shine & MicroMesh 12000

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dawson

I am currently finishing my pens by using MicroMesh all the way to 12000 and then applying EEE Ultra Shine before applying HUT Crystal Coat. Is the EEE Ultra Shine necessary to achieve a high gloss finish in this finishing sequence?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

You may want to read the article on finishes by Russ Fairfield over at woodcentral. Most new turners start with crystal coat and migrate rapidly to more durable coatings. The most popular appear to be CA glue applied according to different formulas, some form of lacquer, or a waterbased finish such as Enduro by Compliant Systems.

Polishing systems using a couple of fine abrasives and a wax top coat are popular behind the harder finishes.

If I remember correctly, EEE Ultrashine is more coarse than the 12000 micromesh so you are taking a step backwards in grits.

its_virgil

Actually, several steps backwards. But, I guess that depends on how large a step is. EEE Ultrashine is tripoli in a paste form. They could not call it tripoli so it was called EEE (tripple E). It is somewhere close to 3200-4000 MM if I recall correctly.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by KenV
<br />

If I remember correctly, EEE Ultrashine is more coarse than the 12000 micromesh so you are taking a step backwards in grits.

GBusardo

Don't go throwing away that EEE Dawson. I do use Micromesh, but sometimes I use the EEE to clean up some miscues along the way. This way I do not have to start the MM from the beginning. It also seems to do a good job of cleaning out pores before I fill them. It's really a great product and at times can be a real timesaver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom